VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 09:56:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: XP-VL shared folder... how to access from Windows XP?  (Read 1416 times)
AdriansonCrusoe

« on: April 19, 2009, 10:43:24 pm »

As read in the VL 5 installation guide,

I created one primary NTFS partition and installed XP in it, then through fdisk in VL installation I created 3 logical partitions: --- shared, type W95 FAT32 --- swap, type linux swap --- VL install, type linux --- home, type linux ----, and installed VL 5.

When I boot (from Lilo in MBR) into XP there's the drive C: and the drive D: in the file explorer, but the drive D: appears as unformatted and XP prompts me to format.

How can I acces the files in the W95 FAT32 partition from windows file manager?
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 03:36:24 am »

Hi,

Windows has no ability to read linux file systems.  It will not read them there are programs out there that allow you to do that one is at the following web page.
http://www.fs-driver.org/

But I believe it may be limited to only the ext2 system. there may be other I don't know about.

Dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 04:12:17 am »

Did you format the FAT32 partition?

BTW, VL5 is getting a little old, VL6 is the way to go.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 08:20:54 am »

Just to add to nightflier's post.... If your fat32 partition is empty and windows prompts to format it then you should go ahead and format it.  After that you'll be able to access normally via the windows file manager.

HTH!
AdriansonCrusoe

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 01:28:34 pm »

Yeap, you were right, it wasn't formatted (VL installation let's you format everyting but the shared folder). However, XP would only allow me to format as NTFS, so I had to use a partition manager programme to format as FAT32.

So, solved, thanks for your time. =)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: