VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: How to get Chestnut Dialer to recognise my modem?  (Read 822 times)

Sleepy-zz-John

How to get Chestnut Dialer to recognise my modem?
« on: May 06, 2009, 09:49:34 pm »

Hi,  I've installed VL6 on a partition on my 3 yr old Acer Aspire 3828 laptop,  and entered a couple of my existing dialup accounts in Chestnut dialer, but it doesn't seem to be recognising or detecting my modem.   It reports: Failed to open /dev/modem:  Permission denied.

In VASM - Utilities - Hardinfo - Devices - PCI Devices my modem shows as
Intel corporation 82801 FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW   Acer Conexant AC97 CoDec  on IRQ 21

In VASM - Network - Modem Configuration, I highlighted "AUTO Try autodetect modem" and pressed OK, but that didn't get me anywhere,  so I also tried "ttyS1 COM2 under DOS". Maybe that last try was a mistake.   Highlighting now automatically reverts to "SKIP Use the old ttyS1"  and asks me to got to http://www.linmodem.org to find a driver,  but I don't find any drivers there at all and I'm not even sure if my modem really needs a driver download.

I've also tried to follow the advice in http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=8811.0 and made the suggested change to fix a bug in /usr/share/applications/chestnut-dialer.desktop,   but Chestnut dialer still continues to report:   Failed to open /dev/modem:  Permission denied.

So,   Help!   :)     Please can anyone suggest in fairly simple terms what I might try next?       

using VL6 std gold

thunderheights

Vector Linux 6.0   Laptop
2 GB RAM/1.9 GHz AMD Athlon X2 64/120GB HD dual booting w/ Win Vista
Vector Linux 5.9 Lite Desktop
64 MB RAM/ 754.36 MHz AMD Duron /30GB HD, (1/2 of which I'm sharing with Win XP)