VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 10:33:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: quicklaunch buttons on HP DV6736nr laptop  (Read 1284 times)
garden_t00l

« on: April 23, 2009, 10:23:18 pm »

Hey all, I just installed the new version on my laptop since I got an extra drive and wow.  Everything pretty much worked out the "box"  Great job!  Its an HP DV6736NR Laptop. Did have a bit of trouble with the autoconfig of the video.  It showed it found the nvidia chipset then it didn't install right.  No biggy though, just went and got the newest driver from nvidia and good to go.  The only thing I don't have working that I see is the quickplay buttons and the scroll on the touchpad.  Later tonight if I get a chance I will try that guide on here for the synpotics/alps thing to see if that works.  I found someone saying about on there laptop for ubuntu editing the keyboard configuration worked for there whatever brand laptop they had.  Any idea how I could go about getting my quickplay buttons to function?  I use the mute and volume control a lot, the others not so much.  Other than that the only problem I had was firefox crashing randomly, even after upgrading it with gslapt? and Open office giving an error on installation, which I'm going to look more into also.  Anyways I'd appreciate any help.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 04:01:09 am »

Hi and welcome to VectorLinux.

You will get better responses if you post one question for each issue, in the appropriate sections of the forum. Include your VL version and information about your hardware, error messages etc.

I'll take a stab at the touchpad issue. You can use options in xorg.conf to control it. The list is quite long. Here is a good guide: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Synaptics_Touchpad  Another way is to use "synclient". Run "synclient -l" to see all the options.

To use xorg.conf, using my setup as an example; you need an entry for the touchpad in the "ServerLayout" section:
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier     "X.org Configured"
InputDevice    "Synaptics Touchpad"
Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Next, add a section for the touchpad:
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
 Identifier    "Synaptics Touchpad"