VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 04:35:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to: Install without cdrom usb etc  (Read 2433 times)
justin

« on: April 28, 2009, 01:55:12 am »

Ok this is my short vague guide on how to install vector without a cdrom or floppy or usb.  Due this at your own risk.  I doubt there is any but whatever.   
Get unetbootin
use it to install the vector iso on your widows c drive
then you need to make another partition probably with another linux distribution formatted as ext2.  just big enough for the ISO. 
copy the iso to the partition restart to windows and while booting it should have a unetbootin option that will boot vector and allow you to install.   
If you need another distro to make the partition you can use unetbootin to install one.  unetbootin will allow you to boot into ubuntu live or similar pretty easy. 
I'm sure this was unclear and i'l come back to answer questions.  If someone understands they could put it in the wiki or something.   

Basically what unetbootin does is installs a linux iso to your windows partition and allows you to boot to it. This works for vector linux but when vector linux starts the install, at least for the light version,  it cannot find the install media which is why you need to place the iso on its own linux partition.   

This should probably been posted in the howto section. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 01:35:54 pm by justin » Logged
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 07:08:56 pm »

Well that sounds like fun....what I do is yank the hd out of the old p3 with a cdrom..stick in another..set the cmos to recognize the drive, boot the os and partition the drive...reboot and install the os...then yank it and put it in the old piece of crap with no cdrom, floppy, or usb...what was I thinkin...and boot to tui and run vasm and have it auto detect the hardware..then reboot to gui bliss...well..it sometimes is bliss..I also have an adapter for laptop drives..and windows is not involved Wink

cheers
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 07:13:53 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
justin

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 12:37:46 pm »

If you don't want windows involved unetbootin is available for linux as well.
no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 04:48:24 pm »

If you don't want windows involved unetbootin is available for linux as well.

I thought UNetbootin under Linux only allowed you to install a "live" Linux distro. Or have I misunderstood? And you would need a USB, which you don't want to use anyway.

I tried UNetbootin and couldn't compile it for Vector. Installing VL6 Std on a Win XP eeePC , I "yank the hd out" like Overthere. Very simple and effective. Not very elegant but simpler than UNetbootin.
justin

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 01:58:59 pm »

I thought UNetbootin under Linux only allowed you to install a "live" Linux distro. Or have I misunderstood? And you would need a USB, which you don't want to use anyway.
It allows you to install to your hard drive and it doesn't have to be live.  I haven't used the Linux version so maybe there is a reason it wouldn't work. 

I tried UNetbootin and couldn't compile it for Vector. Installing VL6 Std on a Win XP eeePC , I "yank the hd out" like Overthere. Very simple and effective. Not very elegant but simpler than UNetbootin.
For me using unetbootin is much simpler than taking the hd out.  Especially when talking about a laptop.  Everyone's different.   
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 02:31:53 pm »

Thanks for the idea.  I used the basis of it to create this tutorial.  UNetbootin funny name ...cool ap.
This is video shows how to install UNetbootin on VL and use it to put vectorlinux-light .iso onto a usb.
When done and with your bios settings changed you will have a usb-stick that when booted from takes you to the text installer exactly like the boot cd would.
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/01.Installation/bootusb/unetbootin.htm

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Brand-X

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 03:56:20 pm »

So very cool.  I was trying to do this manually so I could install VL on my new netbook and could not get it to work.  I had to break down and buy a USB DVD-RW drive (any excuse for new toys right?).

Thanks for the walk-thru,

~B

no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 11:05:07 pm »

Thanks for the idea.  I used the basis of it to create this tutorial.  UNetbootin funny name ...cool ap.

http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/01.Installation/bootusb/unetbootin.htm

Ken, you've done a great job once again. You made something I struggled with, seem quite easy. I'll use this method next time.
justin

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 02:46:41 pm »

This is video shows how to install UNetbootin on VL and use it to put vectorlinux-light .iso onto a usb.
When done and with your bios settings changed you will have a usb-stick that when booted from takes you to the text installer exactly like the boot cd would.
That's a pretty awesome tutorial. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: