VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 05:49:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beginner packaging questions  (Read 5476 times)
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 07:48:30 pm »

Hi Granny;
Glad you had another go with sbbuilder, once you get the hang of it, it really beats the manual method.

Fontforge does have both a .desktop file and .png icon included in the source.

/~/fontforge-20090408/Packaging/fontforge.desktop
and
~/fontforge-20090408/Packaging/fontforge.png

In the SlackBuild script generated by sbbuilder is a section that looks like this...

#mkdir -p $PKG/usr/share/applications
#cp $CWD/$NAME.desktop $PKG/usr/share/applications/$NAME.desktop
#mkdir -p $PKG/usr/share/pixmaps
#cp $CWD/$NAME.png $PKG/usr/share/pixmaps/$NAME.png

As you have probably guessed just by looking at it the comments '#' need to be taken out inorder for it to work.

Once that is done you should be able to re-run the script and have the .desktop file and png included in your package.
At least that is what you would think.  I have found it is not so dependable, but the fix is pretty easy.

1st extract fontforge.tar.gz so you can get at the files inside and copy the .png and .desktop file to a place you can easily reference.

2nd. Change the '$CWD/$NAME.desktop' part to the actual path where you have copied the .desktop file to your drive.
3rd. do the same for the .png.

You should have something that looks like this...

mkdir -p $PKG/usr/share/applications
cp /home/granny/fontforge.desktop $PKG/usr/share/applications/$NAME.desktop
mkdir -p $PKG/usr/share/pixmaps
cp /home/granny/fontforge.png $PKG/usr/share/pixmaps/$NAME.png
Save your changes.

Delete your previous .tlz, slack-desc file, and slack-required file and run the fontforge.SlackBuild script again.

Let me know if it works.
Ken

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 08:23:05 pm »

Thanks! I'll give it a try tomorrow or Sunday or Monday. I'm getting close to a good package.<g>

I hope what I'm learning will stick when I try the next package--Scribus has a new beta 1.3.5 out.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 02:07:54 am »

Success (I think)!

With sbbuilder I built fontforge-20090408-i586-1vl60.tlz on VL 6 Light. I installed the package on my VL6 Standard Deluxe partitions on two computers and FontForge is working in both. However, there is no fontforge.desktop file in /usr/share/applications. How can I fix that? Is every VL package supposed to include a *.desktop file?

Thanks, everyone, for all the help so far!
--GrannyGeek

Hi Granny,
The easiest way would be to include the .desktop file in your build Script.  with sbbuilder use the --xdesktop flag it will create a .desktop entry in the build script that you can then edit for your particular build.  You will have to know where the program places it's Icon though. 

keep at it . Good work!

cheers,
Dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: