VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: screwed xorg.config  (Read 895 times)

franklin1k

screwed xorg.config
« on: May 01, 2009, 07:01:29 pm »

hi
Playing around with ati, big desktop and VL 6 stan I managed to blank out my screens.  It boots to blackness now.  How do I boot without X so the last working xorg.conf backup ( i have seven ) can be restored?  Always thought Knoppix or booting from the VL 6 OS disk would either let me change files or boot to a console, respectively.   I also thought there might be a keyboard shortcut might drop me to a console once starting X blanked my screen.  However, my experiments failed, and, my googling circles itself now.  Hey buddy, can you spare a Linux command, huh?

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: screwed xorg.config
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 07:35:05 pm »

There is several ways.

* You can pick TUI from Lilo if you have that option.
* You can press tab at the Lilo boot screen to get a Lilo prompt. Once you get there, start your system using a label followed by 2 (the runlevel in which you wanna boot, we use runlevel 2 for a text mode console login). The label is usualy VectorLinux, Lilo will tell you what are the options. So, you would have to type "VectorLinux 2" at the lilo prompt.
* Once X fails and you get a blank screen, you can try the Control+Alt+F2 shortcut for getting a console login.
* You can use the VL install cd for booting your system. There is instructions in the CD for doing that. Shortly, you have to type linux root=/dev/<root_partition_of_your_system> (something like sda1 or hdb2)
* You can boot Knoppix and mount your VL partition. Get a console and do "mount -t auto /dev/<vl_root_partition> /path/to/mount_point". The mount point has to be an existing directory. You can create one with the mkdir command. Traditionaly /mnt is used, so "mkdir -p /mnt/vector" would do it, and then "mount -t auto /dev/<put_vl_partition_here> /mnt/vector". Once you do that, your xorg.conf can be accessed in /mnt/vector/etc/X11/xorg.conf

I think I have listed all your options, from the easiest to the most difficult. Please post back here if you find any problem.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

franklin1k

Re: screwed xorg.config
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 01:41:35 am »

Bingo

booted VL 6.0 disk
typed in at boot prompt:  linux root=/dev/hda2 ro runlevel 3
signed in as root, fired up midnight commander and deleted old xorg.conf, then renamed a backup to the xorg.conf.  Back up and running to make all new mistakes.

Really, docs on the OS cd.  Fool not to look there first, huh.

thanks