VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 11:59:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Geeky, Star Trek Freaky  (Read 3322 times)
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« on: May 02, 2009, 10:47:15 am »

One of the people I contract program for has a crucial interview question for potential new hires:

"Who do you like better, Capt. Kirk or Capt. Picard?"

The correct answer is either one.

- the wrong answer of "who's Kirk?" or "who's Picard?"  means the interviewee isn't *geeky* enough to be a programmer.

And it is a serious question!

Anyone looking forward to the new 'Trek movie? I sure am - the trailers all look good so far.

- H
(Set Vector coordinates and beam me up!)

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 04:38:38 am »

What would happen if you answered, "Actually, for a long time now I've preferred Captain Sisko"?

I'm looking forward to the new movie, but I won't be going to see it until it's out for a few days.  The theater closest to my house has a very large screen, so it tends to attract a lot of hard-core fans.  When Star Trek:  Insurrection came out I made the mistake of going the first day.  I was with four other people, and there was one whole row which was free.  We made the move to sit down, only to be informed by a starfleet lieutenant that the entire row was reserved for the bridge crew of some starship or other.  So I went and got an usher, who informed the lieutenant that we could sit there, he couldn't save an entire row.  I guess for at least the next few hundred years or so movie theater usher outranks starfleet lieutenant.  Anyway, for the entire movie I got kicked in the back of my chair, and other people leaned over and told me what a motherplonker I was.

In my experience, anybody willing to dress up in costume for a movie is possibly a little "off."  That particular group of Trekkers can all eat targ poop.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 05:20:55 am »

Yeah, hard core fans can be annoying. I remember going to see one of my favorite artists in concert and having it ruined by someone behind me screaming at the top of her lungs all the time. At least with a movie, you can do as you say and wait for the initial wave of frenzy wears off.

Yes, I am looking forward to seeing the movie.
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 08:31:54 am »

I'm not a real fan of Star Trek, but I understand that 'crucial' interview question.

I think it's part of programmer being having some fetiches related to sci-fi, or some concrete humor sense (monty python, big bang theory, fmaily guy...). Obviously, it's not that you can trust it blindly, but knowing what stuff makes one's brain tick, really says a lot of how he/she approaches problems, or thinks about the environment and context he's in .

Here's an article I like about recognising good programmers . I can't fully agree, as I probably fullfill most requirements, but I think I'm not a GOOD programmer (yet).  For me, good programmers have 5+ years experience applying smart techniques (functional programming, or higher order programming) .  Well, that's the path I'm following at least ;p.  Obviously, when I talk about a GOOD programmer, I talk about being *really* good.

Sty
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 10:32:11 am »

Yep, I can't wait for Star Trek to come out!!  Captain Kirk all the way!

* Enterprise *
Running Vector Linux 5.9 Deluxe
|| Intel Core2Duo E6600 | 4 GB DDR2 RAM | ATi Radeon X1900XT ||
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 11:09:40 am »

I am from the Star Wars generation Grin
I still remember when we went with my dad to the autocinema, I used to watch the movies from the roof of our Dodge 1500. Before the Dodge we owned a Rambler '63, with bathroom (well, actually, was a hole in the floor, very convenient for long movies Cheesy)
I will watch the new Star Trek of course.
The tastes of a person are important in some cases, and you always can make an statistic and say stuff like "good programmers like this...". I dunno how useful that would be though. I guess it can be useful if two persons meet all the requiriments and you dont know how to pick, but any question would be as good in that situation.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 11:11:53 am »

LOL @ Rambler '63 w/ barhroom
LMAO

Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 03:41:14 pm »

Wow --- the USS Enterprise is on the cover of the May 4th "Newsweek" and is its lead article. 

Pretty funny considering that the original Star Trek's initial intended target audience was stay at home moms. (Or is *that* an urban myth that's been around the solar system a few too many turns?)

There's also a section on Star Wars versus Star Trek, where they compare Scotty to the US Federal Reserve Chief Ben Bernanke: "She's breakin' up, Cap'n!"

Better still, is the tying together of Captain Pike (the old shriveled one) with former US President, Bill Clinton --- And in the sense of equal fairness to both parties --- we have former Pres. George Bush ("43") as, yes you guessed it, Darth Vader.  (And Cheney, of course, as Sith Master, "The Emporer")

HOOT!

Sty
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 05:25:59 pm »

Anyone else see it yet?  I liked it.

* Enterprise *
Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 01:11:25 pm »

Sty, good to hear that you liked it!

No, I've not gone yet, but we did reserve Imax tickets. Yes!  I couldn't stand the idea of seeing it on a postage stamp sized screen.  Got them for *next* weekend to avoid those Alien Intruders, Tom mentions, those who pose as Star Trek fans in human guise.

Been hearing and seeing many more good reviews than bad. Can't hardly wait. (And that's rare for me Smiley

Did you like it enough to go see it again in a theater?

Sty
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 09:43:40 pm »

Definitely!

I saw it in "Digital" at the Theater, it was sorta like "HD" theater I guess, EXCELLENT QUALITY.  We don't have any IMAXes 'round here that I know of. Sad

Over all the movie was great.

There is one plot part that I don't think lives up to Trek expectations which was disappointing.  Nemoy is more than a cameo, which is good and bad (I'll not get into that too much, though for the most part it was great).  The characters were very well cast, though one change in relationships has me puzzled.  Oh, and I think they went a tad overboard with Kirk.  Haha.

Those are my only real complaints.  I am a full-time Trekkie, I have copies of TOS, TNG, & Enterprise, own all the movies on DVD, will eventually get DS9, though never really saw / got into Voyager, but I'll probably get it eventually, too, if only for the sake of completion.  In addition I have quite the collection of books as well.  Now, from that perspective I loved the movie and can't wait to see it again.  My complaints really are small.

I also went with a friend who had no Trek experience and he also loved it and plans to buy it when it comes out.

There's a lot of characteristics that fans will enjoy, a huge update to the action and cinema (Lucas Films was involved, so I guess that's a given), story is 8.5/10 (that one plot point marked it down for me, should have been handled different), music was hmm, more modern?  There are some old type things, but for the most part it's what you'd expect now adays.

That's my mini-INeedABreakFromStudyingReview for the movie, when others have seen it I'll discuss more.

* Enterprise *
Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 09:51:23 am »

It was fun!

My wife (who's not a sci-fi or shot-em-up fan) thought it was stupid. Oh well   Grin

Essentially a cowboys and indians in space movie.  (and Yes, the calvery does come to the rescue, gun's a blazing.)

Effects were great, but not overwhelming.  I did have to 'suspend belief' at several points, but that's the nature of Sci-fi anyway isn't it?

Will go see it again!

- H

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 04:49:50 am »

Saw it, really liked it, still don't understand why Spock and all the other Vulcans have the exact same Moe Howard bowl haircut.  What would happen if a Vulcan decided to, say, part his hair on the side?  Would they kick him out for being illogical?  Somebody help me out here.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 05:53:21 pm »

That's a pretty funny take on it, Tom.

Can you imagine a Vulcan with punk-purple spikey hair? 

They'd probably just think he was a visiting Romulan

\|/
 Smiley

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 07:26:32 pm »

Remember Spock's half-brother Sybok from the craptacular Star Trek V: The Final Frontier?  He had long hair and a beard, if memory serves, but for a Vulcan he was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out there.

Fascinating.

Tom

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: