VectorLinux
July 31, 2014, 05:37:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: firefox 3.0.9 has issues [solved]  (Read 1193 times)
brokndodge

Linux is sooo HOT

« on: May 02, 2009, 04:34:53 pm »

mozilla let a bad patch slip in to firefox 3.0.9.  causes major problems with the browser.  within 36 hours
of the 3.0.9 release, mozilla released 3.0.10 to fix these issues.

today i did a mark all upgrades and found firefox 3.0.9 was installed.  so i had to downgrade to 3.0.8.

not fussin, just passin along information. here's an article on zdnet about mozilla's glitch
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=1085
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 06:06:35 am by brokndodge » Logged

VL 7.0 Standard

brokndodge
- OSS is not a religion, it's the solution to buggy irresponsible coding -
Linux User# 494720
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 07:27:01 pm »

3.0.10 has been in the testing repo since the 28th. For notices about updates, check the VL Package News and Updates section of the forum

paul.
brokndodge

Linux is sooo HOT

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 07:40:26 pm »

i tend not to enable testing for things i use heavily.  but thankx for the info, there are serious security flaws in 3.0.8

edit: whats the difference between 1vl60 and 2vl60+

3.0.10 from testing seems to have small issues, it reports as 3.0.8 and the search bar doesn't have any search engines configured, i immediately downgraded back to 3.0.8
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 07:51:08 pm by brokndodge » Logged

VL 7.0 Standard

brokndodge
Linux User# 494720
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 09:11:57 pm »

i tend not to enable testing for things i use heavily.  but thankx for the info, there are serious security flaws in 3.0.8

Any new package will go into testing until it has been evaluated.

edit: whats the difference between 1vl60 and 2vl60+

2vl60 was built against VL 6.0 light, in an attempt to reduce the number of dependancies. Not sure if that was a good idea or not....

3.0.10 from testing seems to have small issues, it reports as 3.0.8 and the search bar doesn't have any search engines configured, i immediately downgraded back to 3.0.8

I've not seen that here, nor has anyone else reported that problem. I would suspect a problem with your profile rather than the build. Here it is certainly showing 3.0.10.

paul.

brokndodge

Linux is sooo HOT

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 06:06:07 am »

ok... took a couple of minutes to figure this out.  thought i would post it in case others had a similar issue.  i made several attempts to upgrade to firefox 3.0.10.  each attempt did not upgrade cleanly.  each time i then downgraded to 3.0.8.  the last couple of times it only took a couple of seconds for gslapt to 'complete'.  so i purged the cache and tried again.  still no luck. 

i decided to start looking into my add-ons.  was gonna unload them one at a time to see if the problem was there.  started with Download Helper.  i clicked disable and restart firefox.  upon restart firefox opened a bunch of windows.  don't know why, but once i got all of those windows closed i retried the upgrade to 3.0.10. 

viola - clean upgrade.  complete with firefox telling me it has been upgraded.  i don't know why, but it seems Download Helper was blocking the upgrade.

so for future reference - if your having trouble with upgrading firefox, disable the addons, particularly Download Helper.  doesn't seem to be necessary to uninstall it, just disable.   then retry the upgrade.

VL 7.0 Standard

brokndodge
Linux User# 494720
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: