VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 10:53:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Failed To Start Xserver - No GUI on new install  (Read 5625 times)
AndyA

« on: May 03, 2009, 11:09:28 am »

Hi all,
I've just installed Vector Linux 6 Standard on an old Toshiba Satellite 4080XCDT, I'm new to Linux and thought I'd play safe using an old PC. It was running through the display configuration and I chose the AUTO (less questions) method, VL decided to use 640 x 480 instead of the normal 1024 x 768 that this laptop would use. The GUI failed and I'm now left with a text display, I haven't a clue how to use the text method to try and correct the issue, can anyone help ?

Thanks Huh
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 11:23:25 am by AndyA » Logged
AndyA

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 11:51:52 am »

I've posted this in the wrong section haven't I.  Undecided
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 12:15:59 pm »

Hi Andy;

The situation you are in is not very hard to get out of in VL.

Since you are in a text display, login in (if you are not already)
Then login as root.
type
su (press enter)
then enter your root password (press enter)

type
vxconf

Then it should look familiar.
You can get to here from the text display any time this way so feel free to experiment.

I'd first try the vxconf option if you have ati or nvidia drivers.  Don't choose anything smaller than 800*600 res.

If you don't have ati or nvidia just choose vesa.

Let me know how it goes.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
AndyA

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 12:26:01 pm »

Hi stretchedthin,
I've jumped the gun and started a re-install thinking that I'd have another go at it. I'm not sure what graphics adapter this laptop uses as I've just been given it and haven't investigated the hardware. I'm 'fairly' sure that it won't be either ATI on Nvidia ?

I'll choose a different video selection and will report back asap, the install takes a long time though.
AndyA

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 01:22:16 pm »

Oh crumbs, vesa doesn't seem to have been a good choice either, I see 2 small desktops (pink) sise by side at the bottom half of the screen, text is way too small to read. Nuts!
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 02:07:24 pm »

Can you get into a text screen.  Try pressing 'ctrl+alt+f5'.  Do your get a text screen you can work with.  If so you can try the different options of vxconf.

You can also try a command called xorgconfig, but you will have to do some research on your system first.

If someone else is watching this thread and can give a hand that would be appreciated, this is not a strong area for me.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
AndyA

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 02:48:24 pm »

Thank you again, I'm just about finished with the 3rd installation so will look at another video option. It's getting late and I'm getting a bit disheartened  so will no doubt follow it up tomorrow.

AndyA

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 03:15:24 am »

Great it's up and running, had a bit of fuss with the wifi but nothing too troubling. The graphics seem very slow, i.e dragging windows is a bit of a struggle, I think the graphic card has around 2 mb of memory so can't expect much.

Lots to investigate....
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 05:54:18 am »

Maybe trying different drivers or even different options for the same driver. Lowering the resolution and depth color can help. As root, lspci|grep VGA can give you good keywords for researching. You may want to post the output of that command here, maybe some users have the same card and can help you.

Good luck, and keep us informed.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
AndyA

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 06:55:17 am »

Thanks rbistolfi, the result is:

00:04.0   VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems Cyber 9525 (rev 49)

It took me a while to find the | key on the laptop, haven't got it to UK settings it would appear.

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 07:36:46 am »

On boot choose "linux-tui", login as root, enter roots password, edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and do the following:

change line: Driver "???" to Driver "trident"
change line: DefaultDepth 24 to DefaultDepth 16

save the file.
Type "startx" and tell us what happens.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 07:38:59 am by lagagnon » Logged

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
AndyA

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 07:50:33 am »

I didn't install the tui startup so just have gui, is there something I can do as an alternative to edit the xorg.conf file ?

Thanks lagagnon
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 08:23:32 am »

When the X server fails are you not bumped into console mode? You should then be able to login as root in console mode. Either that or try pressing Ctrl-Alt-BkSpace to leave faulty X mode. If that fails try Ctrl-Alt-F1 or Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get a virtual terminal console.

Then use either the nano or vi editor or use mc, find the file and press F4 to edit it.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
AndyA

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 06:53:15 am »

I'm still messing around with this. I've deleted my xorg.cong thinking that I could generate a fresh one to try ...... I don't know how to, can anyone advise ?

Thanks.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 07:01:11 am »

run as root vxconf

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: