VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 04:55:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL as triple boot on MSI Wind  (Read 912 times)
fox

« on: May 03, 2009, 03:44:46 am »

I have been passively testing VL 6 on a virtual machine and have now decided I would like to evaluate it as a speedier operating alternative to Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 on my MSI Wind.  If it works, I would boot into it most of the time when I don't need to use programs I can't get working in VL (in particular, rkward  Angry ). The way I would like to proceed is to first try it live or installed on a usb stick to (1) make sure I have wireless access (my Wind has a Gigabit b/g Atheros card), and (2) to see how quick it is to startup and load apps. 

Assuming it is as speedy as it seems to be on my virtual machine, I would then want to install it on my drive, but rather than use its lilo bootloader, to add it as an option on my existing grub bootloader that Ubuntu put in the Windows MBR.  I understand that VL 6 is better than 5.9 at detecting wireless cards, but there doesn't seem to be a livecd for VL 6 or 6 light. Would I be better off, then, testing with the VL 5.9 livecd, or attempting to install VL 6 on a usb stick?  And lastly, what grub command would I use to have VL as a boot option should I install it on my HD?

Mac user with Linux tendencies
Intel iMac 2.16ghz C2D; Mac mini 1.83ghz C2D
MSI Wind U100, 2ghz RAM, 80gb HD, Gigabyte atheros wireless
PowerBook G4/1.33 15" Al
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 05:05:28 am »

There is no live release of vl 6 yet.
You can install to HD and simply boot into your ubuntu when you're done, copy the Vl kernel and initrd to your ubuntus /boot, modify your /boot/grub/menu.lst to add a new entry for VectorLInux.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: