VectorLinux
July 29, 2014, 06:48:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dell Dimension 2400 Problem Child  (Read 4627 times)
ComputerBob

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 04:20:16 am »

Well that didn't work at all.

As soon as VectorLinux tried to startx, it lost all video and my monitor shut down.

UPDATE: I opened the Puppy xorg.conf and found several Puppy-specific paths to fonts and other things specified in there. It isn't worth it to me to go through them and figure out how they would need to be changed for VectorLinux.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 04:33:54 am by ComputerBob » Logged

ComputerBob.com - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
News, Views, Information, Software, Help & Fun - Every Day
www.ComputerBob.com
ComputerBob

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 04:42:32 am »

This problem is a moving target.

Now I can boot into TUI mode and go into VASM, but no matter what video mode I select, my monitor shuts off without any video signal on the very next boot.

It looks like the only way to get around it is to do another complete reinstall of VectorLinux, to try to "clean up" whatever got messed up, and to hopefully "fix" the "undefined video mode" problem that returned a couple of days ago, even in VL 6.0 Light.

Am I willing to do *another* complete reinstall of VL, to start all over again, without any new ideas for how to solve the problems that keep plaguing me?

No.

Once burned, twice shy. Thirty times burned....

www.ComputerBob.com
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 05:23:34 am »

Sorry it didn't work for you  Sad

Good thing there are many choices in the Linux universe. Use what works for you.
ComputerBob

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 05:39:07 am »

Thanks.  Wink

www.ComputerBob.com
ComputerBob

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 06:10:34 am »

Just for laughs (what's WRONG with me???), I just tried installing VectorLinux 6.0 Standard Gold using the old, text-based installer.

The only difference it made was that I no longer got the "Undefined video mode...." error message on boot.

So the GUI installer definitely causes that error message to appear.

But I still get the black screen of death when X tries to start.

Maybe that information will help someone figure out how to prevent other people in the future from getting at least one of the video problems that I've gotten.

www.ComputerBob.com
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 06:36:56 am »

you should only have to choose standard resolution from vliloconf and then choose 1024x768 from vxconf to get the desired video from your adapter.
ComputerBob

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 07:18:30 am »

One would think so, but that's not the case with this particular PC.

However, I MAY have hit upon the correct sequence of config options and xorg.conf edits to make everything work in VL 6.0 Standard at 1024x768 without any "undefined video" messages or black screens of death.

It's running on that PC right now. I've been testing it and now I'm going to wait to see if it goes into screensaver panic like the one I experienced yesterday (or was it last week -- I'm losing track of time!)

www.ComputerBob.com
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 11:35:55 am »

It's running on that PC right now. I've been testing it and now I'm going to wait to see if it goes into screensaver panic like the one I experienced yesterday (or was it last week -- I'm losing track of time!)

In Standard you can easily turn off the screensaver option in Desktop menu, Settings, Screensaver, Advanced. That should prevent "screensaver panic."
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 11:53:18 am »

The screenserver in xorg is a bit tricky in my experience, and some of them make use of opengl which is too much for a screensaver imho. I disable it after install and I just use a black screen for replacement. My little daughter loves the jumping cow though Grin

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: