VectorLinux
November 25, 2014, 04:10:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: internet connection disappeared  (Read 4383 times)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 04:21:59 am »

It is common in Linux and other Unix like system that a command gives output only on errors.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
bruno

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 05:39:19 am »

And now, after rebooting, again no connection,
nothing happening after sudo /sbin/dhcpcd eth0,
but connection did came back after sudo /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 start.
Strange, every time it's different..
Well... as long as it comes back, I'm happy
bruno

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 04:12:37 pm »

And now, connection gone again after rebooting, all the previous commands do nothing, also dhcpcd eth0, and ifconfig eth0 up do nothing, no output, no connection...
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 04:39:25 pm »

I would try some Live CD's and see if they do the same thing. If so, suspect your hardware or dhcpc server.
bruno

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 05:20:41 pm »

Well,... very strange things are happening now..
One would think that there can be a hardware problem, but I have been running U-lite on this machine for a long time, and never there has been a problem with internet connection. Not once.
Now I wanted to test this again with a live cd (Damn Small), like you suggested, but the machine doesn't want to boot from the cd drive any more...
It always comes up with VL!
I checked the boot sequence setup, but cd drive is still the first...
And after booting, VL has sometimes internet connection, and sometimes not...?!?
bruno

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 02:16:56 am »

The only thing I can do now is reboot and reboot, until I have connection, but I don't think it should work like this..
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 03:40:44 am »

You're right, it definitely should not be like that. The symptoms you describe are consistent with failing hardware. Make sure to back up any data you have on that machine.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: