VectorLinux
September 23, 2014, 12:01:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 questions about Wireless connection  (Read 3872 times)
swarfendor437

« on: April 05, 2009, 06:12:29 am »

Hi peeps,
I have managed to connect the wireless dongle (Netgear WG111T) with VL6.0 standard but doesn't seem to 'stay' after re-boot - also when booting back into Windoze, Windoze obtains an exclamation mark against the device in device manager - simple to resolve but a drag is to unplug and back in again. The other point (not question) is that when the machine is switched off after being on VL the netgear dongle is still flashing - will only go off if I switch the powersupply off at the back of the tower! (Also happens in DreamLinux!)
The other question is, that I was heartily impressed with the VL6.0 preview which worked straight off - which version do I need to buy to get this functionality (it didn't even ask for the driver!) Gold Deluxe or SOHO Deluxe? (with megamario!).

Best regards,
swarfendor437

[PS - please ignore which version to buy - just purchased the deluxe edition!]
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 09:21:48 am by swarfendor437 » Logged
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 07:44:17 pm »

Hey, swarfendor437:
When you are connecting are you using wicd network manager to set-up your wireless connection or VLwifi ?

When you reboot and hold the mouse over the wicd icon in the panel what does it say it is trying to connect to if anything?
Ken

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
swarfendor437

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 09:59:40 am »

Hi stretchedthin,
I used VLWifi to make the initial connection. What is somewhat annoying is that the free Standard edition appears to be more stable on my younger daughter's machine but the Deluxe version I paid for for my eldest daughter keeps losing it. After VLWifi I usede Wicd to ensure that all the settings are there. Just did a reboot a few minutes ago and network icon was back to normal again - no connection. If I run VLwifi - even though the blue light blinks on the Netgear dongle it comes back as no hardware present. I disconnect the dongle from the USB lead supplied and plug back in then run VLwifi again and it wants to set up all over again - it enters default values of 192.168.0.2 - need to set static as 192.168.0.7 (.2 is my network card address that connects directly to the router). Any ideas on how to bind permanently would be great. The other issue I have is if someone boots back into Windows then an exclamation mark appears in device manager - unplug and plug back in again to resolve!

regards,
swarfendor437

PS thanks for your suppor so far - used to other Linux distros - need to learn some bash I fear! Main rig is running Windows and Sabayon 3.5.1
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 10:22:42 am »

Hi swarfendor437:

A couple things before I head to work. (1:00-9:00 mst)
What are you using for mounting? VL-Hot or HAL?  I know VL-HOT does not detect a usb connection that is left in.

I can't see how the trouble on the windows side can be related to the linux side. Each set up on thier own partitions should be totally independent. If anything that would point to trouble with the wireless adapter itself.

I always had trouble with VLwifi, prefer wicd, (Grannygeek would disagree with me.  She knows VLwifi inside and out.)
Take a look at this..it may not be the answer but it may highlight some things I do differently.
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/02.Beginners-guide/Wicd-wireless/Wicd-wireless.htm
stretchedthin

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 06:04:29 pm »

I always had trouble with VLwifi, prefer wicd, (Grannygeek would disagree with me.  She knows VLwifi inside and out.)

wicd didn't work for me until VL6 Final. To my surprise, it's working quite well now in Deluxe. My wireless connection is nearly always up when VL starts. On the infrequent occasions when it isn't, I click on Connect in wicd and it works right away. Once in a while the wireless connection will drop. I can restart it with a click through wicd.

I don't know anything about VLwifi except how to use it to get my wireless set up. I had to use it in VL6 before Final. I also had to use ndiswrapper around an XP driver for my Realtek 8185 chip. But in VL6 Standard Final I use the rtl8180 module (which VL loaded automatically, no ndiswrapper) and wireless works better than it ever did going back to the betas of VL 5.9 Standard. I couldn't get wireless to work at all in VL 5.8.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
swarfendor437

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 06:11:48 am »

Hi Peeps,
I don't know if its because I am using wpa for security or the fact that it is a Netgear WG111T usb dongle on each machine. I know that ndiswrapper (last time I checked a few months back) and madwifi were not going to support the atheros chip any time soon (ar5523) and can only put it down to this - I don't really want to go out and spend money on dongles that may not be compatible with DG834GT router. When I downloaded and tried the 'live preview' of VL6.0 it did not even ask for a driver - it worked instantly - I am beginning to wonder if I bought and downloaded the wrong edition - is SOHO the one with pseudo windows wireless driver built in?

best regards,
swarfendor437 Smiley

PS I also don't want my 10 year old daughter to have to learn how to configure wireless every time she boots up to VectorLinux! Wink
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 11:19:34 am »

I don't believe that VectorLinux 6.0 has a live addition. It may have been the 5.9 live that you tried. 

If I understand your situation right you can get the dongle to connect, it is just when you reboot you have to go through the same process again.

After initially getting your dongle to connect with VLwifi.  Have you tried to opening wicd manager and selecting the 'Automatically connect to this network' option?

You should not have to worry to much about compatibility with your DG834GT router.  They all use 802.11 b,g,n to communicate so you can easily try other options.  Take advantage of a stores 30 day return and try a couple different ones if you want.  I just use the 29.00 retail plus model at staples, uses the zd1211rw driver.

swarfendor437

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 02:54:20 am »

Hi stretchedthin,

Eventually I get wicd to show the hidden router and change all the settings to automatically reconnect. A couple of other questions:
BSSID Mac: is this the router's Mac for binding? (re wireless networks settings) and the Mac address below BSSID - is this the dongle?

Lastly, I use OpenDNS to block unwanted sites - do I need to 'set it up' again as I could get on blocked sites from eldest daughter's machine - the OpenDNS settings are in the DNS boxes with the correct Octets.

Best regards,
swarfendor437

PS Re your staples connections - are they usb dongles? and is your router a DG834GT?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 02:55:52 am by swarfendor437 » Logged
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 03:55:38 pm »

Hi: swarfendor437
Sorry, don't know much about OpenDNS.  No kids, yet.

You can us iwconfig as root.  It will show you the mac address of your router.

You could also ping your router from one terminal.
ping 192.168.254.254
then as root from another terminal run
arp -a

Once you know your routers mac address you should be able to deduce the other, but I'm not really sure where you are looking when you ask that question.

You say you got it to auto reconnect. That's great.

swarfendor437

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 02:04:47 pm »

Hi Peeps,
Just thought I would update you - whilst crashing the E17 environment did solve the wireless issue. Originally I had to give statici ip address to get wireless to work - changed this to dhcpcd on general tab of Wicd preferences and flushing set to IP - all appears to be fine - only tried two reboots and it seems to be holding - will keep you posted.

Best regards to all on the forums,
swarfendor437
swarfendor437

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 12:17:10 am »

Hi Peeps,
Sorry for the delay on the updates. DHCPD as in last post is o.k. the problem rests with the windows boot - the dongle gets the fatal 169.254.xxx.xxx IPA address when booting back to Windows - tried XPwinsockfix.exe but it did not work - have had to revert back to static ip address. Can't check on progress as eldest is an MSN messnenger fanatic and because I have had more problems getting aMSN to work on this distro she is currently sticking with Windoze! Main problem is installing the sound modules which when I look are in the directory where they say they are but bash reports that they aren't during compilation!

best regards,
swarfendor437
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: