VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: SCSI scanner not working in VL6 Standard  (Read 1771 times)

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
SCSI scanner not working in VL6 Standard
« on: May 14, 2009, 01:04:53 pm »

Yesterday for the first time since I installed VL6 Standard I tried to use my Microtek ScanMaker E6 SCSI scanner and discovered it isn't working. This surprised me because it was working in VL6 rc4 (and still is--I have rc4 on another partition) and it's also working in Windows XP. On further investigation, I discovered that the SCSI kernel module isn't loading in Standard; it is in rc4 and versions of VL going way back. If SCSI for the Adaptec AVA-1502AE ISA SCSI card isn't loaded, the scanner cannot be detected and won't work, of course.

I have a line in lilo.conf to load the module for the scanner. It's
# Start LILO global section
append="aha152x=0x140,10"
boot = /dev/hdb8
default = linux
compact

which is exactly the same in rc4 except for the boot=/dev/hdb8. I've had the same append line for several VL installations on this computer.

In checking dmesg, I see a couple of ominous lines:
aic94xx: Adaptec aic94xx SAS/SATA driver version 1.0.3 loaded
scsi: <fdomain> Detection failed (no card)

and

Driver 'sd' needs updating - please use bus_type methods
Driver 'sr' needs updating - please use bus_type methods

I haven't yet checked dmesg for VL6 rc4, but the AHA152x does get loaded. Pseudo-SCSI devices like flash drives do work on VL6 Standard on this computer.

So what's wrong and what can I do to fix it? And what changed between rc4 and Final that might explain why the scanner and SCSI card work on rc4 but not on Final? I need to have the scanner working on this computer.

Grateful for any help,
GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: SCSI scanner not working in VL6 Standard
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 01:44:38 pm »

Additional information:

I've just booted into VL6 Light on the same computer and here the Adaptec driver is loaded and sane-fine-scanner finds the scanner.

aha152x lines from dmesg:

Loading iSCSI transport class v2.0-870.
Loading Adaptec I2O RAID: Version 2.4 Build 5go
Detecting Adaptec I2O RAID controllers...
aha152x: processing commandline: ok
aha152x: BIOS test: passed, 1 controller(s) configured
aha152x: resetting bus...
aha152x0: vital data: rev=1, io=0x140 (0x140/0x140), irq=10, scsiid=7, reconnect=enabled, parity=enabled, synchronous=enabled, delay=1000, extended translation=disabled
aha152x0: trying software interrupt, ok.
scsi0 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 2.7 $
(scsi0:6:0) Synchronous Data Transfer Request was rejected
scsi 0:0:6:0: Scanner                    Scanner 600      1.80 PQ: 0 ANSI: 3 CCS
Adaptec aacraid driver 1.1-5[2456]-ms
aic94xx: Adaptec aic94xx SAS/SATA driver version 1.0.3 loaded
scsi: <fdomain> Detection failed (no card)

As you see, the scanner itself (Scanner 600) is identified. The lines I thought were signs of trouble in dmesg for VL6 Standard are not; they're the same in dmesg for VL6 Light. However, aha152x is not found and the scanner is not identified.

sane-find-scanner reports this in Light:

found SCSI scanner " Scanner 600 1.80" at /dev/sg0
  # Your SCSI scanner was detected. It may or may not be supported by SANE. Try
  # scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

So--
same computer, same SCSI card, same video driver (xorg's radeon), same scanner, same append in lilo.conf. Why isn't it working in Standard?

This is the second weird problem I have with Standard on this computer. I can't get Flash working with Opera 9.04. It doesn't see the plugin at all. Flash works fine with Opera in Light. I've tried just about everything in Standard: removed Opera completely and reinstalled the package; compared the settings and files in Light with those in Standard--they're the same; reinstalled Flash; renamed ~/.opera and had Opera create a new one. Opera works with Flash on my other VL6 Standard computers and with VL6 Light on this computer. I'm stumped.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 06:52:37 am »

Granny,

This is one I dont think there is an answer to. There is no difference between RC4, Light and Standard in this regard. maybe something went wrong with your STD install.

Wish I had a better answer,
Uel

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 06:25:53 pm »

I was hoping for better news, but was also thinking a clean installation might be a good idea. Given that I have two unexplainable problems, there must be something about my Standard installation on the Celeron desktop that is different from my other Standard installations (though I can't imagine what it is, since there is very little difference among them in terms of what's installed and updated). Maybe a cosmic ray hit my hard drive and changed a bit here and there.

I hope I can find time this weekend for a new installation.
--GrannyGeek

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 08:02:38 pm »

I thought I'd bring this to a conclusion by saying I did reinstall VL6 Standard Deluxe and both the scanner and Flash in Opera are now working. I have no idea what went wrong with my previous VL6 Deluxe.

I've been doing a lot of rebooting after adding software or updating things because I want to make sure that things continue working. If something breaks, I'll know it was the last update or new program that most likely caused it.

Before I reinstalled, I did a full surface scan, SMART test, and a memory test just in case a defective hard drive or faulty memory caused my previous problems. No problems were found with the hard drive or memory.
--GrannyGeek