VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 04:09:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SCSI scanner not working in VL6 Standard  (Read 1363 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« on: May 14, 2009, 12:04:53 pm »

Yesterday for the first time since I installed VL6 Standard I tried to use my Microtek ScanMaker E6 SCSI scanner and discovered it isn't working. This surprised me because it was working in VL6 rc4 (and still is--I have rc4 on another partition) and it's also working in Windows XP. On further investigation, I discovered that the SCSI kernel module isn't loading in Standard; it is in rc4 and versions of VL going way back. If SCSI for the Adaptec AVA-1502AE ISA SCSI card isn't loaded, the scanner cannot be detected and won't work, of course.

I have a line in lilo.conf to load the module for the scanner. It's
# Start LILO global section
append="aha152x=0x140,10"
boot = /dev/hdb8
default = linux
compact

which is exactly the same in rc4 except for the boot=/dev/hdb8. I've had the same append line for several VL installations on this computer.

In checking dmesg, I see a couple of ominous lines:
aic94xx: Adaptec aic94xx SAS/SATA driver version 1.0.3 loaded
scsi: <fdomain> Detection failed (no card)

and

Driver 'sd' needs updating - please use bus_type methods
Driver 'sr' needs updating - please use bus_type methods

I haven't yet checked dmesg for VL6 rc4, but the AHA152x does get loaded. Pseudo-SCSI devices like flash drives do work on VL6 Standard on this computer.

So what's wrong and what can I do to fix it? And what changed between rc4 and Final that might explain why the scanner and SCSI card work on rc4 but not on Final? I need to have the scanner working on this computer.

Grateful for any help,
GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 12:44:38 pm »

Additional information:

I've just booted into VL6 Light on the same computer and here the Adaptec driver is loaded and sane-fine-scanner finds the scanner.

aha152x lines from dmesg:

Loading iSCSI transport class v2.0-870.
Loading Adaptec I2O RAID: Version 2.4 Build 5go
Detecting Adaptec I2O RAID controllers...
aha152x: processing commandline: ok
aha152x: BIOS test: passed, 1 controller(s) configured
aha152x: resetting bus...
aha152x0: vital data: rev=1, io=0x140 (0x140/0x140), irq=10, scsiid=7, reconnect=enabled, parity=enabled, synchronous=enabled, delay=1000, extended translation=disabled
aha152x0: trying software interrupt, ok.
scsi0 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 2.7 $
(scsi0:6:0) Synchronous Data Transfer Request was rejected
scsi 0:0:6:0: Scanner                    Scanner 600      1.80 PQ: 0 ANSI: 3 CCS
Adaptec aacraid driver 1.1-5[2456]-ms
aic94xx: Adaptec aic94xx SAS/SATA driver version 1.0.3 loaded
scsi: <fdomain> Detection failed (no card)

As you see, the scanner itself (Scanner 600) is identified. The lines I thought were signs of trouble in dmesg for VL6 Standard are not; they're the same in dmesg for VL6 Light. However, aha152x is not found and the scanner is not identified.

sane-find-scanner reports this in Light:

found SCSI scanner " Scanner 600 1.80" at /dev/sg0
  # Your SCSI scanner was detected. It may or may not be supported by SANE. Try
  # scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

So--
same computer, same SCSI card, same video driver (xorg's radeon), same scanner, same append in lilo.conf. Why isn't it working in Standard?

This is the second weird problem I have with Standard on this computer. I can't get Flash working with Opera 9.04. It doesn't see the plugin at all. Flash works fine with Opera in Light. I've tried just about everything in Standard: removed Opera completely and reinstalled the package; compared the settings and files in Light with those in Standard--they're the same; reinstalled Flash; renamed ~/.opera and had Opera create a new one. Opera works with Flash on my other VL6 Standard computers and with VL6 Light on this computer. I'm stumped.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 05:52:37 am »

Granny,

This is one I dont think there is an answer to. There is no difference between RC4, Light and Standard in this regard. maybe something went wrong with your STD install.

Wish I had a better answer,
Uel
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 05:25:53 pm »

I was hoping for better news, but was also thinking a clean installation might be a good idea. Given that I have two unexplainable problems, there must be something about my Standard installation on the Celeron desktop that is different from my other Standard installations (though I can't imagine what it is, since there is very little difference among them in terms of what's installed and updated). Maybe a cosmic ray hit my hard drive and changed a bit here and there.

I hope I can find time this weekend for a new installation.
--GrannyGeek

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 07:02:38 pm »

I thought I'd bring this to a conclusion by saying I did reinstall VL6 Standard Deluxe and both the scanner and Flash in Opera are now working. I have no idea what went wrong with my previous VL6 Deluxe.

I've been doing a lot of rebooting after adding software or updating things because I want to make sure that things continue working. If something breaks, I'll know it was the last update or new program that most likely caused it.

Before I reinstalled, I did a full surface scan, SMART test, and a memory test just in case a defective hard drive or faulty memory caused my previous problems. No problems were found with the hard drive or memory.
--GrannyGeek

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: