VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 12:36:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Redundancy in LILO?  (Read 1102 times)
TLM

« on: May 26, 2009, 05:40:17 pm »

I have noticed that typically in LILO, you end up with "linux" usually at the top of the list, and on down is "linux-gui" These both seem to perform the same login. Is there any necessity in having both? I know how to edit LILO; I am just not sure if it is safe to remove one of those entries. Thank you!

Particle board should be outlawed.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 12:19:18 am »

Yes there is some redundancy there. You can remove the "linux-gui" stanza. Edit your /etc/lilo.conf file (as root) and remove that stanza (it will be obvious what to remove). Then you need to run "lilo -v" as root in a terminal in order to rewrite the image file.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 10:28:07 am »

The idea is that "Linux" boots into your default runlevel (selected during install or via vasm), which is not necessarily gui (4) or tui (2). On the other hand, the other 2 give a fixed choice of runlevels 2 and 4. That said, I tend to do the opposite of what most people do... I remove "Linux" and leave the 2 direct options... Grin

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: