VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Redundancy in LILO?  (Read 1231 times)

TLM

Redundancy in LILO?
« on: May 26, 2009, 06:40:17 pm »

I have noticed that typically in LILO, you end up with "linux" usually at the top of the list, and on down is "linux-gui" These both seem to perform the same login. Is there any necessity in having both? I know how to edit LILO; I am just not sure if it is safe to remove one of those entries. Thank you!
Particle board should be outlawed.

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
Re: Redundancy in LILO?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 01:19:18 am »

Yes there is some redundancy there. You can remove the "linux-gui" stanza. Edit your /etc/lilo.conf file (as root) and remove that stanza (it will be obvious what to remove). Then you need to run "lilo -v" as root in a terminal in order to rewrite the image file.
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

Joe1962

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
    • Joe1962's Website
Re: Redundancy in LILO?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 11:28:07 am »

The idea is that "Linux" boots into your default runlevel (selected during install or via vasm), which is not necessarily gui (4) or tui (2). On the other hand, the other 2 give a fixed choice of runlevels 2 and 4. That said, I tend to do the opposite of what most people do... I remove "Linux" and leave the 2 direct options... ;D
O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10