VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: fglrx drivers  (Read 3159 times)

aland

fglrx drivers
« on: May 18, 2009, 01:07:33 am »

Hi - I am looking for some advise regarding drivers for my ati radeon 9600 card. When I install Vector 6 I go with the normal ati drivers(no problem).To get more performance for certain software I have tried to change to the fglrx drivers in vasm as they have worked under other distros.
Under Vector I am just getting a blank screen after loading the fglrx drivers and have 2 questions.
1) Is there another fglrx driver that I can download for my particular video card and if so have you easy instructions to follow.
2) How can I revert to the ati drivers for now(I have a blank screen using the fglrx drivers at the moment).

Any halp much appreciated.

Thanks.

Aland

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: fglrx drivers
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 04:47:19 am »

Don't know of any alternative fglrx versions, but you can change back to the ati driver a couple of ways.

Choose "tui" on boot and
- run vasm > xwindow > xconf
- or manually edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf, in the Device section, find the line
Driver  "fglrx"
replace fglrx with ati.

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: fglrx drivers
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 07:34:22 pm »

As decribed for editing xorg.conf to replace fglrx with ati, I think replacing fglrx with radeon might support more things than replacing fglrx with ati. I use the radeon driver with my Radeon 9200, which is not compatible with the fglrx driver.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

aland

Re: fglrx drivers(not solved but okay)
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 01:17:24 am »

Hi-Thanks for the advise.I spent a couple of hours trying different configurations last night and have reverted back to the std ATI drivers for Vector.I only have an issue with Google Earth and as I am dual booting with Ubuntu I will just run it under Ubuntu.

Thanks.

Aland.

aland

Re: fglrx drivers - resolved
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 12:05:36 am »

Just to advise that I finally installed radeon drivers and now can use google earth - thanks for the help.

Alan.

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: fglrx drivers - resolved
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 03:37:44 pm »

Just to advise that I finally installed radeon drivers and now can use google earth - thanks for the help.

Thanks for letting us know. Enjoy!
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller