VectorLinux
November 21, 2014, 08:16:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Culture  (Read 1792 times)
Bjrnarlinux

« on: May 17, 2009, 01:01:20 pm »

One of the things i love about GNU/Linux is the things it has introduced me to. Before i started using Linux i didn't know much about computer freedom. I knew Linux was gratis, but i didn't know about stuff like the GPL, the four freedoms  etc. Now i've become quite passionate about it( though i won't be using Gnewsense anytime soon).

Another thing i've been introduced to is free culture, creative commons, etc. Sure i used Wikipedia, but that was about it. I never knew about Jamendo.com, now i browse and download music there almost daily. I've just learned about Project Gutenberg! Free e-books? Yes, please!

This to me signifies the greatest thing about GNU/Linux. It's place in a broader counter-cultural movement that offers a glimpse( or at least i hope it does) into a freer future.

Is anyone else here into this stuff?

Life is Beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.

Leon Trotskys last words
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 02:01:38 pm »

Hmmm,...very interesting.  I've been using linux for some time now,....but never heard of Jamendo.com. (Or about project Gutenberg).  I'll have to look into those.   I've just been so happy to find a terrific operating system to run my 4 "older but goodie"  computers. 
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 02:35:20 pm »

I'm with you there. Add http://magnatune.com/ to your bookmarks. The new Amarok 2 has support for both magnatune and jamendo.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 05:11:19 pm »

The Perseus project makes available a bunch of text from the ancient and the classic world. Its one of my favorites.
An amazing project is Blender. Not only because of the high quality 3D software, it has been contributed two movies to the free culture and a video game:

A 3rd movie is in the plans called Durian: http://durian.blender.org/
The products are available for download under the CC license and the source is also available for download as .blend files (the format used by the blender software).

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 05:44:15 am »

Yeah Mon!

Blender is one of the best programs of any kind I've ever used - a tad counter intuitive, but only at first.

Bjrnarlinux, 'free culture' and the gift's of many hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, also creates a self-supporting community. Just like the one we have here - and at the zillions of other forums.

According to a far-sighted philosopher, in the beginning of Human history, people were enslaved. In recent and modern times, we are moving from slavery to being paid a wage for work, to "working for a living." He went on to say that in the future working to met life's needs will be voluntary. We will have enough to go round for all, that we will only need to donate our time to help our fellow humanity.

> a glimpse... into a freer future.

Perhaps that freer future is ariving!

cheers,
Howard in Florida
~~~~~~~~~~
 - Donating a reply, when I should be working  Grin

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: