VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 02:49:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: cannot start Xfce  (Read 1732 times)
jason1308

« on: May 20, 2009, 11:14:03 am »

I hope that this is in the right section, as this is my first installation of Vector Linux, and everything seemed to be okay and fine, until I rebooted.

I end up with a Text screen where I have to login in at root, and then some options come up.

If I then type startxfce4 at the prompt (I would have thought this was automatic)

I get the following :

/usr/bin/startxfce4 : starting x server
/usr/bin/startxfce4 : line 76 : exec: xinit: not found

Can anyone give us a hand on a solution to this problem please.

Thanks in advance

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 01:31:15 pm »

Try typing just "startx" at the prompt.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
jason1308

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 02:19:16 pm »

Just done that under $ and get -bash : startx: command not found
also did it at root # and got bash: startx : command not found

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 07:19:03 pm »

Which version of VectorLinux are you using? XFce is the default desktop for VL6 Standard, but it isn't included in the VL6 Light ISO.

I've never encountered a VectorLinux screen where I had to log in as root. I always log in as user and su to root if I have to do root things. As soon as I finish them, I exit back to user.

I do use a text login (as user) but startx always starts XFce for me.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
jason1308

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 07:22:38 pm »

Vector linux 6, just downloaded it.

Install seemed to go with no errors, restarted it less CD and then  this problem.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 09:52:03 pm »

Which install method did you use, text or gui.  The gui is new having been developed for just this release so far.  Some users have found the text installer a better solution on their machines. Type linux at the command prompt that appears when you first put in the disk to start the text installer.

That being said, if you do not want to do a full re-install using the text installer, you can try this...

Start by assuming that xorg.conf did not set up correctly.
Vector has a tool with which to configure the x-server. Change to super and type...
vxconf
You will get a menu with a number of options.  Use the vxconf option first, auto second (if vxconf didn't work) then vesa third.

If all those fail, let's assume your xorg.conf is ok and that the gdm is not starting and that is what is kicking you back to the text installer.
Try this as a root user...
vxdmset
This will pop up a menu... choose xdm.
Then run through the above process with vxconf again.

Or re-install with the text installer.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
jason1308

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 04:48:20 am »

Thanks for all your help, I gave up as I wasn't getting anywhere and re installed it with the text option, to be honest it is just as easy.

I think that this problem really needs looking at, as it was alright for me as I had another computer to access the forum, ask advice and then have the patience to retry, where some would have  just given up.  Perhaps I would add a screen at the front of the installation process, offering the two options, and mentioning that if one fails then try the other.

Just a suggestion, thabnks again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: