VectorLinux
November 24, 2014, 11:56:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: adding second nvidia card and monitor  (Read 766 times)
bradfulleroz

« on: May 20, 2009, 03:24:04 pm »

hi - new user :^) 
I have a "modest spec" PC (P4 2.4Ghz, 1GB RAM) and 2 nvidia cards (one AGP and one PCI)

lspci | grep -i vga says:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX 440] (rev a3)
02:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV5M64 [RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro] (rev 15)

I installed VL6 last night - cat /proc/version says
Linux version 2.6.27.12 (root@Vector.Linux.net) (gcc version 4.2.3) #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 22 00:12:35 MST 2009

I chose the VESA (framebuffer - is that the right word?) during install after failing to startX with the automatic options.....

i'm very happy with the speed and responsiveness of VL so far and I'm keen to look further into it as a replacement desktop.

I don't need whiz-bang desktop effects and probably couldn't anyway on this old hardware...

but I really need to get the dual screen setup working using the 2 separate cards....

Mandriva ONE and XANDROS Pro desktop both detect and work with these 2 cards ok, but UBUNTU and VL6 and others I've tied  don't.   

I'm not a competent linux desktop user... (I have some experience in linux servers with console-only operations)

if anyone can point me in the right direction i'd be most thankful...   

best wishes
brad

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: