VectorLinux
July 22, 2014, 03:06:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need more desktops  (Read 4015 times)
AirborneDude501

« on: May 21, 2009, 01:10:30 am »

I am running VL-5.9...  Have it running on my older PIII 1.1GHZ with 512MB of ram... it is great.  I have everything working with little or no problems.  Been running it for a few months and love it.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to add more desktops.  It defaults with 2... I would like to have 4.   

I searched this forum for someone that asked the same questions about VL but no one has asked.  So, how do you do it?

Thanks in advance
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 03:22:34 am »

Which window manager or desktop environment are you running (xfce, kde, lxde...)?
AirborneDude501

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 03:40:08 pm »

Well, not totally sure... I think I just took the defaults when I orginally installed the OS...

Maybe it is IceWM...  I am sorry, I am used to using GNOME, KDE or Fluxbox... I can tell you it is not any of those.

Is there away to tell? 

It has a start button (IE Like windoze)...  but it says "MENU" .   I believe it is IceWM, but again, not totally sure. 

AirborneDude501

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 03:46:43 pm »

Maybe it is OpenBox...Huh?

I found a file in my /home/dan/  directory... openbox.txt  (I think typing this from a different system) and it has some settings in it...
AirborneDude501

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 03:52:38 pm »

OK... I found an XML file with a bunch of settings.. the file is huge..  I am assuming this is where I add an extra desktop...

Can you help me figure this out?

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 03:55:19 pm »

VL 5.9 Standard uses XFCE as default. Try looking in Menu > Settings > Workspaces Settings.

If it's VL 5.9 Light it is probably JWM or LXDE. What does the background (wallpaper) look like?
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 07:10:02 pm »

The issue also came up in another thread, sorry for quoting mysef Grin

Many WMs and DEs export a DESKTOP_SESSION environment variable.
Maybe if you run this in a terminal you can find out wich one are you running:

Code:
echo $DESKTOP_SESSION

For example in my box I get this:

Code:
rbistolfi@vector1 [ ~ ] %echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
awesome
HTH

HTH^2

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
AirborneDude501

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 07:31:58 pm »

Ok...  there is no Menu > Settings > Workspaces Settings

Workspaces Settings doesn't come up...

But... I did echo $DESKTOP_SESSION

And it came up with ....LXDE...

Talk to me... does that mean anything?Huh?

You guys are on to something...  thanks for all the help...

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 01:37:38 pm »

Do you have a little desktop pager/switcher thing at the bottom of the screen in the system tray? If so, there might be some configuration options if you right-click it.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
AirborneDude501

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 06:54:45 am »

Yeah, I have one.  Only 2 desktops show.  When I right click it, it switches to either desktop 1 or 2... 

There has got to be a way to create 2 more desktops so i can have 4...

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 10:57:20 am »

I'm using VL6 Standard and I switched to LXDE just so I could find the answer for you.  Smiley

If your LXDE works like the one in VL6, right-clicking on your desktop should bring up a menu with Desktops as one of the choices. Click on Desktops and you should see a list of your desktops. Under that list is Add New Desktop. Click on that and you should get another one. Another "box" should appear in the pager. Repeat if you want more.

If this doesn't work, I don't know what else to suggest because I'm using a different version of VectorLinux and I use XFce. If nobody comes up with the answer, try googling.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 06:46:17 am »

The version of LXDE in VL 5.9 Light is getting quite outdated by now. I do not see an option to change the number of virtual desktops. You would probably need to upgrade to a newer version.

JWM does have support for up to 8 desktops.
Arioco
Packager

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 10:02:05 pm »

LXDE uses Openbox as the default windows manager, just install Obconf, run it and you should find an option to add more virtual desktops.

In a world without fences or walls... Who needs Gates or Windows?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: