VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 10:01:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: What was your first computer?  (Read 11803 times)
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 08:11:56 am »

The other day the mother of a friend of mine asked me if I could "run off" a copy of a DVD I have for her.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 10:59:09 am »

My first computer was a neural network based model I received as a gift when I was born. It has approximately 100 billion nodes, advanced computer vision, diverse databases on many subjects, can execute a number of useful algorithms, and has occasionally even passed the Turing Test

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2009, 11:56:32 am »

Commodore 64. 

Mine too.

You might have heard that there are websites hosted on a commodore 64 machine, for example this one:
http://www.c64web.com/

There are also unix-like systems for C64:
http://www.c64web.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contiki

including among others multitasking kernel and TCP/IP networking, including IPv6

Tommy599

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 01:57:58 pm »

I got my first PC pretty late so it was an AMD Duron 850MHz Spitfire, 256+128,20GB

It's still running today, my parents use it. XP SP3 is on it, it runs like a snail. The spitfire I think is starting to spit blood, the cmos battery is weak (the date and the hardware keep dissapearing from BIOS settings) but it's still running! I wonder if I can get a new cmos battery for a 7 old motherboard?

Vector Linux 6.0 Light Final
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 @ 500Mhz/128MB/20GB
Registered Linux user #470287
t599.mybrute.com <- can you defeat me?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 07:12:02 am »

I have replaced several CMOS batteries using standard watch batteries. Take the old one out and find the voltage. There is a good chance you will find a suitable replacement at your local drug or grocery store.
Bjrnarlinux

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 08:53:11 am »

The first computer i ever touched was a laptop, i was something like five back then, so i barely remember it. The first computer i related to was one my father bought at the end of the nineties. It was a beast in its day, 6 Gb of strage! 256 Mb Ram! It was awesome. It ran windows 98, but i mostly ran games on it, heroes 2 mostly.

Life is Beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.

Leon Trotskys last words
Tommy599

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 09:29:25 am »

I have replaced several CMOS batteries using standard watch batteries. Take the old one out and find the voltage. There is a good chance you will find a suitable replacement at your local drug or grocery store.

I'll have to give it a try, thanks!

Vector Linux 6.0 Light Final
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 @ 500Mhz/128MB/20GB
Registered Linux user #470287
t599.mybrute.com <- can you defeat me?
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 09:48:02 am »

Oh boy, M0E ... looks like I get the "old fart" award here...

My own first computer-like thing was a homebuilt "adder" using discrete 7400 TTL chips (AND, OR gates, and a latch).
It had 4 toggle switches, 2 push buttons, and 5 transistors driving 5 light bulbs.   (And cost me probably $120)

It worked like this:

Power on, reset.
Press one button to enter a number,
enter 4 binary digits on the toggles for first number,
press the button again to enter second number,
enter 4 binary digits on the toggles for second number, and
press the button again to add and show result.

Then the light bulbs would light the resulting binary value.

(And the geeky trivia question: why were there FIVE light bulbs instead of four?)

The next thing, that really was a computer, was built on top of that last thing:
An 8080 microprocessor on a breadboard that had a whopping 128 bytes of memory, an address controller, some more latches and what not.
Eight switches for loading in the code (seriously), and a gob of transistors driving lamps to see what it was doing.

Needless to say, I never filled that code space - got tired of clicking switches.

The first REAL computer I worked on was and IBM 360 doing BAL Assembler ("Branch And Link") and FORTRAN
--- Using punch cards

(And the second geeky trivia question: what is the "Bit Bucket"?)

cheers
Howard
(Feeling Old and Somewhat Cranky)

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 01:40:33 pm »

Wow. Definitely a story!. And no... I have no idea why it would have 5 lamps instead of just 4.

If I had to guess I would say the fifth was some kind of status indicator

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 01:43:53 pm »

signed numbers?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 02:28:36 pm »

Oh yeah!?!  Well I helped Charles Babbage work on his Difference Engine!  We never finished it ... but ... so there!

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 05:07:46 pm »

Oh yeah!?!  Well I helped Charles Babbage work on his Difference Engine!  We never finished it ... but ... so there!

I built the Antikythera computer

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 04:24:07 pm »

As Tom would say,

Neeener Neeener Neener ! Tongue

Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2009, 01:38:38 pm »

This might be my NEXT computer:

http://www.gaj-it.com/8306/asus-eee-pc-keyboard-no-monitor-required/

Shocked

gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2009, 03:50:12 pm »

My first was a VIC 20. I later upgraded to to a Commodore 64. After the first Intel AT chips came out I built my first Intel box on the 8086 chip from parts bought through Computer Shopper.

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: