VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 05:01:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: What was your first computer?  (Read 11780 times)
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 01:46:39 am »

The first computer I ever used was a PDP-8 in 1968. The first computer I owned was an Oki Electronics IF-800 CP/M machine, at the time a very cool all in one unit with inbuilt printer...

http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/miscpm/h/bif800.jpg

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2009, 03:38:49 am »

Wow. I had never seen anything like this. Interesting design.

Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 11:58:31 am »

Quote from: lagagnon
... The first computer I owned was an Oki Electronics IF-800 CP/M machine, at the time a very cool all in one unit with inbuilt printer...

Oh Darn, Larry! I was hoping I could hand off the oldy-but-moldy award to you,  Tongue  but the Z-80 came after the 8080, if memory serves correct.

Hey, what a hummer - it had TWO Z-80's in it!
Yeah, Man, dig that printer - it looks like a retrofit typewriter. :-)

Grin Grin

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 06:56:06 pm »

I did my first computing on a TI-59 programmable calculator. Great machine.
Made even some money on it. Suddenly I got a check over 2,000 $$ from
my company since my programs were used region wide.

Then I got a HP-75, could cal it the first laptop. I just loved it. Rewrote the programs
of the TI-59  for the HP-75 and sold them to other companies. Mostly
statistical analyses.

And I remember I bought for my secretary the first IBM AT PC which had a double clock
speed of a dizzining 8 ?Hz and cost $3,000.- if I remember correctly, just the machine,
no monitor or printer yet.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2009, 08:45:45 pm »

Wang.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2009, 05:50:35 am »

OSI

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
unicyclist

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2009, 04:07:48 am »

C64, then Amiga and C128.
Machines are still up and working.

IBM Personal Computer 300GL, 350 mhz, 256 megs ram, VL6.0 Lite
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2009, 02:33:08 pm »

A Dell 486-66, back in 1996, with 8 MB of RAM and a 520 MB hard drive. I was able to surf the net with that one, in DOS using Arachne and Lynx.

I had a lot of enjoyment from that one but I couldn't easily have posted online on a forum like this one with it, and I do a lot of posting on different forums.

Two computers I wish I'd had were an Acorn Archimedes and an Amiga 1200, but sadly both have been left behind by the PC despite in some ways being more advanced designs for the time (the Acorn had better graphics than the PCs then available, and the Amiga had on board chips to handle multimedia functions).
OU812
Vectorite

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2009, 11:47:16 am »

I signed up for two semesters of computer programming at my high school in the early 80's. I learned commodore basic on a commodore pet computer, and I saved my programs on a cassette tape.

The commodore 64 was very popular at the time, but I couldn't afford it. So I bought a commodore 16 (the commodore 16 and a machine more powerful than the 64 came out after the 64 but before the 128; I think they both bombed). After using it for awhile, I realized there wasn't any software being developed and so I traded it in for a commodore 64 (the prices had come down). I used it mostly for games and the occasional term paper (my first printer had neither kerning nor descenders, so readability was poor). At the end of the 80's, I ran a BBS called NightShades in San Diego. Not long after my power supply died, I switched to the 128.

As I took more college courses, I moved up to the amiga 500 (was final writer or final copy the king of the amiga wp's?). And it served me very well - until I started taking programming courses at a junior college in Oakland in the early 90's. Then I bought a used ibm 286 and I've stuck with that series of computers ever since.

john
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2009, 01:18:10 pm »

All Right ! I found it. What ? The invoice for my first PC.
dated 4/03/99.
SYSTEM specifications:
CPU - 100Mhz Pentium
RAM - 16 Meg
Video - 4 Meg PCI video card (Jaton 67ctv)
HD - Maxtor 850 Meg
Modem - Generic 14.4
CD-ROM - Imes ICD-E8x 8 speed
Sound - Axra 3D sound card
Generic speakers
Monitor - 14" AST svga
OS - Microsoft Windows 95
cost = $375.00

There it is. Roll Eyes

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2009, 01:30:42 pm »

Wow, sounds like you got that one cheap for what it was...

flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2009, 02:42:42 pm »

Wow, sounds like you got that one cheap for what it was...
Well, maybe, all used parts I believe, and a close friend and former roomie, built it fo me.

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2009, 03:49:25 am »

Ah-ha! That. ExpliIns the pricincg. If I remember correctly, technology has never been the cheapest thing

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2009, 06:14:25 am »

My own first computer-like thing was a homebuilt "adder" using discrete 7400 TTL chips (AND, OR gates, and a latch).
It had 4 toggle switches, 2 push buttons, and 5 transistors driving 5 light bulbs.   (And cost me probably $120)

It worked like this:

Power on, reset.
Press one button to enter a number,
enter 4 binary digits on the toggles for first number,
press the button again to enter second number,
enter 4 binary digits on the toggles for second number, and
press the button again to add and show result.

Then the light bulbs would light the resulting binary value.

(And the geeky trivia question: why were there FIVE light bulbs instead of four?)
It's a shame nobody answered this yet. I suppose I'll do it then, it's not like I've got something better to do ATM  Grin.

You need the extra lamp to display results bigger than 1111. The biggest value you can make with 4 bits is 1111 (15). If you add 2 4-bit numbers, then you can get a maximum of 11110 (30). So 5 lamps are needed.

"My" first computer was a 186 or 086 (not sure any more), we got it second hand. Me and my little brother really wanted some gamesystem, but instead my parents got us a real computer. I sure spent a lot of time playing those classic games. Just boot from a floppy, and start the gaming fun.

Since then our family had a couple of computers, the only one we bought new was a 486-DX2 (66 MHZ, with a 2 speed cdrom drive, a soundblaster pro {8 bit} soundcard, and I think it had a modem too). It was at the beginning of the windows 95 era but ours still had dos + windows 3.11. Even then it was nice to be able not to boot into Windows and use resources for the programs you really wanted to play  Wink.

Since then I bought only laptops, on the first one (a second hand Compaq Armada m300, p2 300) I meant just to make music in Fasttracker II (which also ran great on my old 486!), but I soon started using it for other things too. Thus my love for laptops was born. I bought the same but slightly newer and improved model (a p3 600) from a friend. Both these laptops are still in my posession and never really gave trouble.

The newer laptops I've owned so far have all had defects, and I don't wish to talk about the trouble I had with ASUS laptops and their customer service. My last ASUS laptop was stolen when we got burgled, so I bought the desktop replacement laptop in my signature. Never would've dreamed something like that could ever exist when I was playing Commander Keen on my old XT....

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2009, 06:43:13 am »

Ohhh... Commander Keen was a good game..

I remember that one .....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: