VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 11:42:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bootsplash Theme Creator program  (Read 14191 times)
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2009, 08:44:35 am »

Hi Daniel:
I just had a thought about large picture sizes.  Cameras now have huge resolution and it is predictable that your end user of this application is going to try and start with a picture that has a equally huge file size.  While a very wide range of file sizes are accepted by bootsplash, I have made several pictures fail in my testing by using pictures >750kb.  I don't know the exact threshold.

While you could use Imagemagick's -quality option to reduce the filesize, you would also have to  come up with a test to make
sure you are only reducing those that need it and determining what maybe too much of a reduction.

I think the simple solution would be at the front end to post some instruction that the user should make sure they are starting with a picture that is <500kb say.

You could also use a bit of script like this to show the user the size of the picture they have choosen.  Even warn them that a large size will slow boot time or may not work at all.

identify -verbose imagename.jpeg | grep Filesize

Anyway, Great little application.

Here's an example of a picture that did not work for me until I reduced it's file size with the -quality option.
http://spiritual-art.info/wallpapers/animals/1280/1280x1024_kittens4.jpg

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2009, 01:45:08 pm »

Ok, version 1.6, the fourth and (I hope) final version. The script now checks to make sure that you have actually selected a .jpg file and not something else. There is also a warning against using very large .jpg files. The warning is displayed, the selected file's size is displayed, but the choice is left up to the user. (after recommending that the picture be smaller than 500kb) Thank you very much stretchedthin for helping me with testing and suggesting improvements. Just to clarify, the last version did work right? There are no changes to what happens to the image file (resizing and such) so this version should work the same in that regard. Again, all the attachments of the script in this thread will be standardized so you will get the same program from any attachment.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:19:10 am by Daniel » Logged

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2009, 02:07:41 pm »

No problem, Daniel.  This was fun and a good excuse to learn about imagemagick.  Oh, and yes the last script worked just fine.  I was just testing it against some large file sizes. 

Again; nice job.  This is a cool little app. 

What licensing are you releasing this under. I couldn't find anything in the script.  You may want to include something just so people know they can distribute it freely.

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2009, 02:17:39 pm »

1. Good, thanks again for testing.
2. Hmm... Licensing, good question. Would that be just a statement saying that it is freely distributable software? or is there a more formal statement that one should use? (something about GPL General Public License?)

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2009, 10:08:34 pm »

I'm no expert, maybe someone else in the forum could speak more definitively on this.  I would guess that you could simply state your intentions in a commented area near the top.  Since you script relies heavily on GPL'd applications to do what it is designed to do, I'm not sure you could release it any other way than as GPL.

Really would like to hear from someone who is better versed in these matters.

Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2009, 08:16:25 am »

It is an application so I would go with GPL. This allows others to work / hack on it and still keeps it freely distributable. Licensing is a hard thing when you're trying to decide which one best suits you. Best I can offer other than suggesting GPL, is to read up on licenses. I know that is time consuming and sometimes they can be confusing.

Now, I have not had a moment to test this nifty sounding app out as of yet, so before I do, I'd like to ask what it does.... besides bootsplash. I mean:
 does it make all resolutions for the splash?
 does it create a lilo image too?
 is the progress bar location "preset" or does user have an option where to place it, and size etc.?
 is the verbose text window adjustable or is it "preset"?

This application sounds like it would certainly be a very useful "tool" as well as something to use for fun. Without yet testing, this sounds like it would be a nice addition to the Vector Control Center. Thanks for taking your time to build this!

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2009, 09:53:36 am »

It is an application so I would go with GPL.

So is there a special format for using GPL or do you just say something like "This application has a GPL licence."? As far was what the program does, it makes the 1024x768, 1280x1024, and 800x600 bootsplash images. (the most common) After it creates the theme, the program asks if the user wants to run the VL Bootsplash Switcher to switch to the new theme. (so that lilo will use that theme) The program has no control over the progress bar. The program uses the same picture for both the normal bootsplash and the verbose screen so the verbose screen isn't adjustable from the program. Yes, it would be a nice companion module to the VL Bootsplash Switcher in VASMCC. I think it's Moe-lnx who does VASMCC so Moe if you want to say something about that, go ahead.

Did that answer your questions Masta?

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2009, 05:23:41 pm »

Ok, I found another script that mentioned the GPL license so I ended up putting "#Released under the GPL license." in my script. All attachments will be standardized again.

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2009, 07:23:41 pm »

I had a thought, since the final version of the script seems to be ready, should I add (FINAL) to the subject line for this thread?

Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2009, 08:10:10 pm »

It is an application so I would go with GPL.

So is there a special format for using GPL or do you just say something like "This application has a GPL licence."? As far was what the program does, it makes the 1024x768, 1280x1024, and 800x600 bootsplash images. (the most common) After it creates the theme, the program asks if the user wants to run the VL Bootsplash Switcher to switch to the new theme. (so that lilo will use that theme) The program has no control over the progress bar. The program uses the same picture for both the normal bootsplash and the verbose screen so the verbose screen isn't adjustable from the program. Yes, it would be a nice companion module to the VL Bootsplash Switcher in VASMCC. I think it's Moe-lnx who does VASMCC so Moe if you want to say something about that, go ahead.

Did that answer your questions Masta?
Yep answers my question quite well.
Glad you found the GPL script.
Looks like I'll be hand making the configuration files still... but maybe in the future you could somehow work that into the app or something... just a thought Smiley
Wonderful work, just wonderful............

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2009, 04:48:01 pm »

That is in the app already. When it creates a new theme, it copies existing configuration files and edits them to use the correct file path. (I assume you mean the config files in /etc/bootsplash/themes/<theme>/config) So the config files don't have to be edited or made by hand unless you want to do more custom configuration.

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2009, 08:14:03 am »

Ok, Moe-lnx told me how to install a program into vasmCC. Thanks Moe! So now when you download the attached .zip file, you get the program itself, a .desktop file for it, and an install and uninstall script for installing it in vasmCC and for uninstalling it if you want. You must the installer and uninstaller as root. It will remind you if you forget though. All the attachments will be standardized a few minutes after this post.

Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2009, 05:55:05 am »

Hey this IS great! I will still need to customize a little bit by hand, but this does take some time off from that. If I stick to a standard theme, that wouldn't be necessary, but if I make something unique....
Still this saves me a few lines in the config's Smiley
Again, Well Done! and Thanks!
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2009, 05:38:06 pm »

Ok, I am now offering the program as a .tlz package as well. Thanks again to Moe for helping with that. I will attach it here and on the first page of this thread. No problems anticipated with the package but please test. (The package is in the .zip file because I can't upload .tlz files.)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 05:40:54 pm by Daniel » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: