VectorLinux
September 30, 2014, 03:31:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gnome-2.26.1  (Read 2314 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« on: May 23, 2009, 11:13:17 pm »

Just want to report that I have sucessfully installed Gnome-2.26.1 in my VL-6 box.
It came with pulse-audio and I had no more sound after installation.  Removed
pulse-audio and my sound was back. Everything else is just working fine.

The site where I got this gnome version from:

http://www.slacky.eu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2475

It comes with a nice installer. I mounted the iso file. With the installer I removed first
my old gnome version and then installed the new one.

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 11:20:12 pm »

Thanks for this one (I'm considering installing Gnome on my own computer), but (and I could be wrong) isn't Vector 6 based on Slackware 12.1 instead of 12.2 as indicated on the slacky page?
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 11:14:52 am »

I'm running 6.0 KDE-Classic and according to my /etc/slackware-version file, this version of vector is based on Slackware 12.1.0.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 12:03:12 pm »

VL6 is indeed based on Slackware 12.1, however, the VL6 SOHO (the one with KDE4) currently under development has a lot of library updates and I have routinely installed Slackware 12.2 and even 13.0 packages on it with hardly an issue.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 12:36:28 am »

Thanks for the info. However I'm having second thoughts about installing GNOME having seen the size of it (820 MB or thereabouts for a full ISO). There's nothing I need from it that badly.

Best,

CP .
w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 02:19:11 pm »

well gnome just released 2.30 couple days ago. i was looking at the gnome ftp. im really tempted to grab the sources and compile it to a .tlz and test it.

I think the iso you may have might have ALL the gnome packages which some of it could possibly be slimmed down.

ill look though that this weekend (since its going to rain all weekend lol) and see if maybe i can come up with something. (or horribly break my system lol)

Linux Registered User #481509.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 06:04:43 am »

Thanks for replying. If it's going to be a big job though (never mind one which could break your system) I'd suggest for your sake you had several requests for it first Smiley

Just a side thought; I'm thinking Gnome would be a good add-on for Vector Light since it has Evince, Abiword, Gnumeric, Brasero, Epiphany etc., and perhaps ultimately there could be two flavours of Vector in addition to Standard and Light; Gnome and KDE. I've seen other distros such as Ubuntu and Mint.do something like this.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 06:16:39 am »

I don't know if it's my system, or what. But Gnome just doesn't have that polished look that KDE currently has. I gave Mint a whirl and ripped it out in favor of Mint KDE a few days later. I just didn't like the way Gnome looked. Reminded me of KDE 3.X. Rumor has it that Gnome 3 will be just as "flashy" as KDE 4 is, so I may give it another whirl when it's released.

I see a couple of issues if a "Gnome flavor" were to be developed. The dependencies will be totally different, so a separate repository should probably be created. And I'm not sure how many would be willing to package for it, let alone find a developer to maintain the distribution.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 10:54:31 am »

Thanks for replying. I'm personally not all that bothered about "polish", but apart from that I bow to your greater knowledge and experience here.
w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 12:45:25 pm »

about the polish (gnome-look.org Tongue)

i allways just grabbed another gtk theme. ect ect.

anyway. so far trying to install gnome 2.30 hasnt went all that well. running into some errors so its prob going to take a bit.

and yes i personally think a Vector Gnome would be pretty cool. id use it. but as stated above prob need separate repos. and someone to develop it. (which i think would be the hardest part which im finding out installing from scratch isnt all that easy. but it is something to consider. and we have about 6 months b4 gnome drops another release so we would have some time.

as far as packageing i think once the gnome system was build it would be pretty easy to package for it.

Linux Registered User #481509.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 06:01:47 pm »

From a practical stantpoint I'm not in favor of developing a Gnome VectorLinux. Developer time is spread thin as it is, plus VL does need to get out a 64-bit version hopefully with VL 7. We already have Standard, Light, SOHO, and live versions, too.

The developers have enough on their plate. Look how long it's taking to get SOHO out the door. So I'm not in favor of adding yet another version.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 11:51:08 pm »

Gnome  is more of a problem setting up a proper build script and being the  developers are spread pretty thin....but might be worth loooking at when gnome 3.0 evolves. Speaking of developers I am looking for new recruits as I have had two go on hiatus  do to life beyond linux. If your interested pm me please........

Cheers,
Vec
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 03:49:58 am »

Fair point about Gnome. I'd definitely consider being a developer if I knew more about Linux (depending on how much time was necessary as well).

I'm guessing it needs broadband (which I don't have) as well, since packages have to be uploaded once they've been completed.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 03:51:37 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 09:02:03 am »

If you're gonna do gnome, do 2.30.
No point in doing 2.26.x when 2.28 and 2.30 have already came in.

I've been able to build it a few times for personal use using the gsb system with a few modifications especially to add dep tracking information, but nothing out of the ordinary really.

The problem you may run into is that even 2.26 will required a gtk and glib upgrades, which do not play very well with the VL 6.0 series.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: