VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: advice for video capture card?  (Read 1787 times)

bad_gui

advice for video capture card?
« on: May 25, 2009, 08:51:50 am »

I got a pvr-500 as a gift and got it working under vector.  My cable company switched to
digitally encrypted signal so I haven't used it in a while.

I want to convert my old vhs tapes to dvd so I tried connecting either vhs coax or rca
output to the card but the picture is awful.  Even my video camera output looks bad
when it was great a while ago.

I searched the web and came across this posting on my card (I have version b).

http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/home-theater-pc-discussion/33675-hauppauge-wintv-pvr-500-mce.html

I sent an e-mail to the manufacturer but I doubt they will be helpful.

I would like to get another card to capture video input to write a dvd.  Does anyone have a working
setup?  Card, software, settings?  My digital camera can record the vhs output and then transfer via
firewire but this seems tedious for lots of tapes.

I searched the web and found lots of suggested configurations but I don't know much about video capture
and conversion.  I have mplayer and vlc installed. 

Other posting I have seen imply that only the most recent computer hardware can handle vhs to dvd
transfer.  I have a Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz with 1Gig RAM. 

I was looking at NewEgg and saw this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815144031

Anyone know if this usb device is supported in linux?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 10:29:21 am by bad_gui »

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: advice for video capture card?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 10:43:17 am »

I transferred all my VHS tapes to disc, several times. I got the best results using a standalone DVD recorder. Video capture, editing and DVD mastering is labor intensive and takes a lot of time.

Your computer is fast enough to do the job, though.

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: advice for video capture card?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 07:52:07 pm »

By far the easiest way to transfer VHS tapes to DVD is to use either a standalone VCR-DVD recorder combo or a VCR connected to a DVD recorder.

I transferred 40-something VHS tapes to DVD a few months ago and used a VCR hooked up to an HDD/DVD recorder (records to its own hard drive or to DVD). This is like a hard drive DVR with a DVD recorder. If I wanted a straight tape-to-DVD transfer I recorded directory from VCR to DVD. If I wanted to do some editing like removing commercials or cutting scenes, I recorded to the unit's hard drive, did the editing, and then dubbed it to DVD.

I've had a computer video capture device for years and have tried transferring VCR tapes to computer and then to DVD. Doing it with the standalone VCR-to-DVD was *MUCH, MUCH, MUCH* easier and the quality was better, too.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller