VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 01:12:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: !Partitioning Hard Drive with GParted!  (Read 1620 times)
bgraybr

« on: May 31, 2009, 06:09:47 am »

I started to install Vector Linux 6.0, I got to the Disk Partitioning section. GParted started up, and a couple of clicks later the only partition is "unallocated" and the only device is /dev/hda.  Embarrassed I'm afraid to shut down the computer/quit installation because I don't know what I did or whether or not my computer is still okay.

I think I clicked Device - Create Partition Table. I have no idea what I'm doing, none at all. Any help?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 06:42:48 am by bgraybr » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 07:14:36 am »

did you have any existing partitions before you did that?
If you clicked where u think you did and applied changes it may all be gone.

bgraybr

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 07:22:16 am »

did you have any existing partitions before you did that?
Yes.
If you clicked where u think you did and applied changes it may all be gone.
What do you mean by "all gone"? Do you mean all of my files are gone? Or did I just trash my computer?

I was going to completely replace my previous OS anyways and I have my files backed up.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 07:25:47 am by bgraybr » Logged
bgraybr

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 10:31:19 am »

Good news, I figured out how to create new partitions, found a tutorial. Not going to mess with it again until I know what I'm doing...
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 02:39:06 pm »

There are many on this forum who know lots more than I do about computers, about linux, about Vector Linux, about partitioning, and about installing Vector 6.0.  So take these suggestions with a grain of salt and use them only as a last resort.  I admire you for tackling this install on your own. You are doing right by learning about partitions before you proceed.  And, since you are interested in wiping out Microsoft Windows altogether, you are unlikely to cause any serious problems.  If the install does not work, you can just try again until you get it to work. 

As my experience in loading Vector linux might be of some help, I proceed: 

I have not yet figured out the new GUI installer, so when the install screen first comes up, I type "linux." That takes me to the old installer.  When I get to the fdisk partition screen, and start fdisk, I am presented with two options....one  (I forget its exact name) allows you to start with blank partition and the other allows you to use existing partitions.  Unless for some reason I want to save something on the hard drive, I choose the start a new partition option and that takes me to a screen which allows me to make new partitions, from scratch.  I first choose a swap partition roughly twice the size of RAM, next a root partition, which I make bootable (for programs) of roughly 10gb (if the drive is big enough) and finally I make the rest (third partition) the home partition (for user data). I then type "yes" to save the partition.  I understand that typing "yes" wipes out everything that was on the hard drive.  I then quit the partition program and reboot, so the machine will recognize the new partitions. 

On reboot, I type "linux" again at the initial screen (to get to the old installer) and start the install again, this time not choosing the fdisk option, but instead choosing the install Vector linux 6.0 option.  From there, usually I can just follow the prompts.

Something like that.  I don't have a computer here at home which I can practice on now or I would be more specific.  The above is just from memory and should not be used except as background.

Don't hesitate to post when you reach a point where you are not sure how to proceed. 

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: