VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 07:00:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: xmms Refuses To Play .Flac Files  (Read 1829 times)
gacl
Vectorite

« on: June 01, 2009, 10:31:55 am »

This worked in 5.9. . .

Is it missing the codec?

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 01:52:43 pm »

Looks like a plugin (xmms-flac) is needed. Don't see a slack package when searching, but there may be rpm or debs that could work.

Or you can use mplayer, which works for those files.
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 09:26:41 pm »

This thread talks about compiling flac to fix the issue, but what if i just go to gslapt and do a reinstall. . . or will i break something?

Gus

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 03:47:38 am »

Re-installing should not change anything. The thread refers to re-compiling flac with xmms present, which obviously changed things for the poster.

You could post a request in the "package request" area and see if someone picks it up.
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 09:56:33 am »

mplayer's playlist is a little erratic, and the scroll bar doesn't work as well as xmms's.

I just downloaded the source code (flac-1.2.1.tar.gz). The README file says:

Code:
in
general, this should work:

./configure && make && make check && make install

The 'make check' step is optional; omit it to skip all the tests,
which can take several hours and use around 70-80 megs of disk space.
Even though it will stop with an explicit message on any failure, it
does print out a lot of stuff so you might want to capture the output
to a file if you're having a problem.  Also, don't run 'make check'
as root because it confuses some of the tests.

So i assume i should uninstall the current flac package with gslapt, and run the suggested line as root without make check?

Thanks,

Gus

Edit: It just occurred to me that this could be better done with checkinstall? I don't know.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 08:12:01 am by gacl » Logged

gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 08:24:55 pm »

OK, i just did ./configure and make and i still can't play flac files. No sight of the plugin either.

Kind of ironic that i can play all kinds of proprietary audio formats but not the most popular lossless audio format out there which happens to be open source. *sigh*

Edit 1: Wait. . . It seems that the plug-in may be in a hidden folder (.lib).

Edit 2: Yep. Copy flac-1.2.1/src/plugin_xmms/.libs/libxmms-flac.so to ~/.xmms/Plugins/ and xmms will play flac. Case closed.

Gus
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 08:50:21 pm by gacl » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: