Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: Hello Everyone!  (Read 1120 times)

Rime

Hello Everyone!
« on: June 03, 2009, 07:18:53 am »
I installed Vector as a substitute for xubuntu.  My wife took a leap because I'm too tired to skirt around licenses, so she tried ubuntu as an alternative to buying a license for XP.

Since her experiment went well enough(I swear that I thought Linux was supposed to be a buzzword for efficiency and do-it-yourself computing, I couldn't believe that XP could actually outperform edubuntu in several cases), I decided that I'd experiment on one of my old boxes and try out WINE for some of the old games that I still play, like Diablo 2.

Being 500MHz machine, even a light version of ubuntu was unbearable.  So, while surfing the web for lightweight Linux kernels, Vector was in the list.  Although the ubuntu forumites kept suggesting "upgrade, upgrade, upgrade!"  I don't understand why I should run out and shell $400 in upgrades just so I can enjoy some legacy gaming.  Especially if the hardware runs fine.

So, I took Vector Light and gave it a spin.  I dropped WINE on it and although I do get slideshows when there's 100-150 animated sprites on the screen in my game, all in all, I like how it runs.  At least I can browse without random crashing like I was getting with 98, and I can leave the computer running overnight without having to worry about the OS dying.

Last week, I took another 500MHz endtable, and I'm playing around with full, and I'm liking the performance consistency between the two.

Cheers, looks like Vector is going to have a place here for a long, long while. :)

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
Re: Hello Everyone!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 08:07:35 am »
Being 500MHz machine, even a light version of ubuntu was unbearable.
I can imagine, but the speed may have more to do with how much RAM you have in that box, rather than the processor speed. Xubuntu has a lot more background processes running than VL does, and hence consumes more RAM. Once you start needing to use swap space (for instance when you load a large program such as FF or OO it starts to feel like you've just driven into a huge bowl of jelly).
Although the ubuntu forumites kept suggesting "upgrade, upgrade, upgrade!"
Ubuntu users are starting to sound awfully like Windows users aren't they! ;-)
  I don't understand why I should run out and shell $400 in upgrades just so I can enjoy some legacy gaming.  Especially if the hardware runs fine.
A 1GB RAM stick can be had for $20 at some places these days - a verfy cheap and worthwhile upgrade perhaps?

Welcome to the VL communitiy - I hope you enjoy your experiences here and with VL in general....

Larry
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

Rime

Re: Hello Everyone!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 08:46:22 am »
I'll look into it.  I think I've tried running 512MB of RAM in these before and they refused to boot up for some weird reason (and one of those sticks is a 16 chip).  These boxes I have are 100-133MHz, so no DDR for me, but I haven't started looking yet and I'm not in a huge hurry, either.

Thanks for the advice.  At least I have an avenue.