VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 02:20:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: .tar.gz?  (Read 1827 times)
bgraybr

« on: June 02, 2009, 05:51:17 pm »

I tried using vpakager to install programs, I've tried 3 or 4 different programs now and always gotten the same error:

Code:
****  + Determine source type ****

****  ~ vpackager is unable to recognize the nature of this source package ~
Aborting build process now.
FAILED ****

Any idea what's going wrong?
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 06:51:24 pm »

Why are you using vpackager? Are you trying to install a program that you can't get through Gslapt?

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 07:14:53 pm »

We would need to know what programs did you try to install.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
bgraybr

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 07:00:42 pm »

Why are you using vpackager? Are you trying to install a program that you can't get through Gslapt?

Well, flash player stopped working,at least for Firefox, I need to check in the other browsers. I reinstalled it a couple of times through Gslapt but it didn't work, so I downloaded it from the Adobe site.

The other 3 were antiiviruses for Linux, none of the installs worked but I gave up when I found out that an antivirus wasn't necessary.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 07:28:31 pm »

You don't need to make a package of Adobe Flash. Just rename the old Flash plugin in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, expand install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz, and copy the new libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and make it executable. Firefox, SeaMonkey, and Opera all look there for the Flash plugin.

A few weeks ago Flash stopped working in Opera on my VL6 Deluxe partition. I tried everything to fix it, including a complete removal of Opera and Flash and reinstallation from Gslapt. I also tried copying files from VL6 partitions where Flash was working with Opera.  Nothing helped.

I finally decided the best course was a reinstallation of VL6 Deluxe from scratch (after backing up my home directory). Flash was working. I updated both Opera and Flash and they are still working.

I have no idea what went wrong the first time. Flash continued to work with SeaMonkey and Firefox. Only Opera had the problem. Reinstalling was my best option--easier than trying to track down what was wrong (especially since I had tried just about every fix and they didn't work).
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
bgraybr

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 02:27:16 pm »

You don't need to make a package of Adobe Flash. Just rename the old Flash plugin in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, expand install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz, and copy the new libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and make it executable. Firefox, SeaMonkey, and Opera all look there for the Flash plugin.

A few weeks ago Flash stopped working in Opera on my VL6 Deluxe partition. I tried everything to fix it, including a complete removal of Opera and Flash and reinstallation from Gslapt. I also tried copying files from VL6 partitions where Flash was working with Opera.  Nothing helped.

I finally decided the best course was a reinstallation of VL6 Deluxe from scratch (after backing up my home directory). Flash was working. I updated both Opera and Flash and they are still working.

I have no idea what went wrong the first time. Flash continued to work with SeaMonkey and Firefox. Only Opera had the problem. Reinstalling was my best option--easier than trying to track down what was wrong (especially since I had tried just about every fix and they didn't work).
--GrannyGeek

That's very odd, the flash player works for me in Firefox now but only after I open something flash in Opera.So if I want to use flash player in Firefox I have to open up something flash in Opera first. Any idea what would cause an error like this?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: