VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: .tar.gz?  (Read 2008 times)

bgraybr

.tar.gz?
« on: June 02, 2009, 06:51:17 pm »

I tried using vpakager to install programs, I've tried 3 or 4 different programs now and always gotten the same error:

Code: [Select]
****  + Determine source type ****

****  ~ vpackager is unable to recognize the nature of this source package ~
Aborting build process now.
FAILED ****

Any idea what's going wrong?

Daniel

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • TuxToys - Packages for VectorLinux 6.0
Re: .tar.gz?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 07:51:24 pm »

Why are you using vpackager? Are you trying to install a program that you can't get through Gslapt?
The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 08:14:53 pm »

We would need to know what programs did you try to install.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

bgraybr

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 08:00:42 pm »

Why are you using vpackager? Are you trying to install a program that you can't get through Gslapt?

Well, flash player stopped working,at least for Firefox, I need to check in the other browsers. I reinstalled it a couple of times through Gslapt but it didn't work, so I downloaded it from the Adobe site.

The other 3 were antiiviruses for Linux, none of the installs worked but I gave up when I found out that an antivirus wasn't necessary.

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 08:28:31 pm »

You don't need to make a package of Adobe Flash. Just rename the old Flash plugin in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, expand install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz, and copy the new libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and make it executable. Firefox, SeaMonkey, and Opera all look there for the Flash plugin.

A few weeks ago Flash stopped working in Opera on my VL6 Deluxe partition. I tried everything to fix it, including a complete removal of Opera and Flash and reinstallation from Gslapt. I also tried copying files from VL6 partitions where Flash was working with Opera.  Nothing helped.

I finally decided the best course was a reinstallation of VL6 Deluxe from scratch (after backing up my home directory). Flash was working. I updated both Opera and Flash and they are still working.

I have no idea what went wrong the first time. Flash continued to work with SeaMonkey and Firefox. Only Opera had the problem. Reinstalling was my best option--easier than trying to track down what was wrong (especially since I had tried just about every fix and they didn't work).
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

bgraybr

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 03:27:16 pm »

You don't need to make a package of Adobe Flash. Just rename the old Flash plugin in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, expand install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz, and copy the new libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and make it executable. Firefox, SeaMonkey, and Opera all look there for the Flash plugin.

A few weeks ago Flash stopped working in Opera on my VL6 Deluxe partition. I tried everything to fix it, including a complete removal of Opera and Flash and reinstallation from Gslapt. I also tried copying files from VL6 partitions where Flash was working with Opera.  Nothing helped.

I finally decided the best course was a reinstallation of VL6 Deluxe from scratch (after backing up my home directory). Flash was working. I updated both Opera and Flash and they are still working.

I have no idea what went wrong the first time. Flash continued to work with SeaMonkey and Firefox. Only Opera had the problem. Reinstalling was my best option--easier than trying to track down what was wrong (especially since I had tried just about every fix and they didn't work).
--GrannyGeek

That's very odd, the flash player works for me in Firefox now but only after I open something flash in Opera.So if I want to use flash player in Firefox I have to open up something flash in Opera first. Any idea what would cause an error like this?