Author Topic: toshiba a200 - ati radeon 2600 - drivers  (Read 4651 times)

hlekat

toshiba a200 - ati radeon 2600 - drivers
« on: May 30, 2009, 12:08:08 pm »
i have download the latest driver of my graphic adapter ati-driver-installer-9-5-x86.x86_64.run

i installed it and the system fail to load the graphics, so i enter from the tui and configure the graphics with vasm.

from vasm i choosed ati driver but again the some problem. it is working only with flgrx driver.

i want to install the ati driver for the control center because i want to have 2 monitors but i dont know how to do it from xorg.conf.

is there any solution or any older driver that it will work ?

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: toshiba a200 - ati radeon 2600 - drivers
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 01:25:35 pm »
The ati driver is not your best choice here, fglrx would be the best driver for your purpose. It needs to be installed using the "vlati" package, as it has been modified to work with VL. Use gslapt. You also need to install the kernel sources for this purpose. With the driver you get "amdcccle", a GUI control panel that allows you to configure multiple monitors.

hlekat

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 04:45:13 pm »
from vasm i have choosed the fglrx driver, and in gslapt i have already vlati installed.

i can not run amdcccle, with the following error: no ati graphic driver is installed, or the ati driver is not functioning properly.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 05:38:56 pm »
I wonder if mixing vlati and the other (ati-driver-installer-9-5-x86.x86_64.run) caused a conflict. I would try re-installing the vlati package.

As far as drivers go, ati is the less capable one, fglrx is the most capable and radeon is somewhere in the middle.

hlekat

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 03:51:18 pm »
do you suggest after reinstalling the vlati package to try again install the ati driver?

i don't care about the driver but for the control center, so i will be able to have a second monitor for my laptop.

is there any software for that job ?

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 04:55:29 pm »
Re-install the "vlati" package and do not install the "ati-driver-installer-9-5-x86.x86_64.run". They both install fglrx and will conflict with each other. You need the fglrx driver to use the control center.

The "ati" driver I was referring to is a basic 2D open source driver which is included in VL. Also included is "radeon", a basic 3D driver. No control center is included with these.