VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 08:45:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SOLVED:ifconfig networking  (Read 2310 times)
ghartl1
Vectorite

« on: June 06, 2009, 05:08:33 am »

hi,

i use soho 5.9.1 and want to connect to an ap via wireless...

my problem is that ifconfig shows only the lo interface

with ifconfig -a all interfaces appears....

which file i should edit , so the interfaces are all active...#

second question...for wireless

i will use wifi-radar

is it necessary to edit files in /etc/rc.d/ too? (ec.inet1.conf...rc.wireless.conf..rc.wireless...)

greets günter
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 02:53:52 pm by ghartl1 » Logged
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 08:59:38 am »

Have you run netconf in vasm yet?

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
ghartl1
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 02:53:29 pm »

yes i ran vasm..network..wireless too

anyway..meanwhile the problem is fixed
i fiddeld for about 5 hours with wifi-radar to fix it...to no avail
btw: no luck with vwifi (what use wifi-radr in the background too)
vasm with netconfig failed too..

so my last resort was wicd...installed it (actually i had a slackware package from 12.2 on my stick.
installed it,,did 3 more clicks and i was online..what should i say...wasted 5 hours

wireless was with wep encryption..wifi-radar failed even with no encryption (never got an ip adress..ap was the dhcp server too)
maybe the software wasnt compatible with the arris -modem??  who cares now..

wicd was there in the nick of time..easy to configure (to be honest..wifi-radar is also easy to configure)but only wicd worked..and still works (never tried networkmanager, knetworkmanager...)

the solution isnt really traceable for me...anyway...now all is fine

except: does anybody know, how i can configure wicd, so it starts on every bootup?
in the meantime i start wicd ..enter root password and wicd emerges with the chosen wireless network already connected...so far so good

what i want: the box boots up and the internetconnection should establish automatically via wicd without interaction from the user...

any ideas?

although i struggled today with the internet-issue,i am still a dye hard slackware(respective vector-affiliate) i just love the speed, simplicity and the well choosen apps in vector.....good work...and even this windows -user loved the clean kde-desktop and apps (gftp, krename,home-folder,firefox, speed of the internet....)

so, i will stay with vector for sure..only for learning purposes i sometimes use slackware....

see you...

greets günter
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 03:28:59 pm »

To autostart Wicd, copy its .desktop file to ~/.kde/Autostart   The .desktop file is probably in /usr/share/applications/   (you can also get to Autostart by opening Konqueror and clicking the "Go" menu at the top. There will be an entry labeled Autostart.) I haven't used Wicd but I think there should be an option to start the connection automatically.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
ghartl1
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 04:07:17 pm »

the option to start the connection in wicd automatically, already works...to start wicd automatically was my intention..

i will try with the autostart thing in kde

thanks meanwhile

greets günter
ghartl1
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 03:27:13 am »

ääähh..the problem is that wicw need root access too

how can i manage it to start automatically
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 07:39:47 am »

only the wicd daemon needs root access. You can enable the service in vasm iirc, or add

/usr/sbin/wicd

to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file. For starting the client (the systray icon) you need to add the wicd-client command to the autostarted applications.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: