VectorLinux
September 21, 2014, 03:50:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A couple of questions  (Read 1584 times)
cuajo

« on: June 08, 2009, 11:23:55 am »

Hello All, I am thinking of trying VectorLinux again after a long absence.
I have the following questions
    - What Slackware version is Vec 6 based on?
    - Is there a 64 bit version?
    - Are there guides for compiling packages, kernels, etc?

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 12:03:37 pm »

Welcome back;
    - What Slackware version is Vec 6 based on?
VL-6.0 is based on Slackware 12.1 I believe.

- Is there a 64 bit version?
Yes a 64 bit is in development but not out yet.
What they have is started here...http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/iso-test/VL64-6.0-STD-A0.9.iso

- Are there guides for compiling packages, kernels, etc?

One of the original guides is this
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=1701.msg10002#msg10002

There is also a page of screencasts for packaging with SBbuilder.  A script written by Rbistolfi and Kidd to really simplify the creation of SlackBuild scripts.

The screencasts cover a lot of detail and different situations.
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/VLpackaging/page

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
cuajo

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 03:37:41 am »

Thanks for the reply.

Great that Vec 6 is based on Slack 12.1. There are a ton of packages for 12.1!

Any idea if a Vec 6 64 bit will make it out? Not a stopper by any means, but I like using both CPUs that i paid for. Smiley

Wow, the documentation has improved by a lot! Very impressive!

Is it easy to upgrade to the latest XFCE? I like XFCE, Fluxbox and Windowmaker.

I have a Dell Optiplex GX620, 3.0GHz with 4GB of ram and a 250GB hard drive. It can easily run KDE or Gnome, but I just like the lighter window managers. They just look better and aren't like Windows.
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 03:54:20 am »

Last windowmaker release is from 2005.  I suppose we have it in the repos (I'm not on my vl box).
I recall a new xfce uploaded in the repos too.  I don't know if it's still the latest version.

We have also some other light wm like pekwm, jwm and ratpoison in our repositories.

Feel free to contribute if you package any app not in the repos.

Happy vectoring!

cuajo

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 07:26:08 am »

Thank you for your response.

I think I will try Windowmaker again. I just like the look and feel of it.

I have been using Debian, so I will have to get used to compiling packages again!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 11:57:12 am »

Great that Vec 6 is based on Slack 12.1. There are a ton of packages for 12.1!

The best practice is to use packages from the VL repos. There is not a "ton" of packages there, but the ones you want may be. If not, you can request a package in the New Package Requests section of the forum or compile it yourself. Things usually compile easily on VectorLinux.

Any idea if a Vec 6 64 bit will make it out? Not a stopper by any means, but I like using both CPUs that i paid for. Smiley

The 64-bit version is in early development. Testers are always welcome!<g> However, you probably wouldn't want 64-bit VectorLinux as your main OS at this time unless you like being on the bleeding edge. The 32-bit version of VL does use both of your CPUs if you have a dual-core processor. Two of my three VL computers have 64-bit dual-core processors and both processors are in use, as demonstrated by htop. It does make a performance difference even with 32 bits.

The default environment for VL6 Standard is a pretty recent version of XFce. I think a newer version is in the repos, but I find the version included with Standard entirely satisfactory. Also installed with VL6 Standard if you want it is LXDE, which I think is a bit lighter than XFce. I haven't used it much. VL6 Light comes with IceWM as its default. IceWM is very nice but takes more hand configuring than XFce. IceWM is very light and very customizable. JWM is also included in the VL6 Light ISO. It is even lighter than IceWM. Fluxbox is in the repos and I think Windowmaker is, too, along with some others. You can add as much of KDE and Gnome as you want from the repos, so even if you don't want a KDE desktop, you can still run some KDE programs you like.
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:52:25 am by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
cuajo

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 05:05:25 am »

One final question and don't you all go shouting at me either! Smiley

I like Grub. How easy is it to switch out Lilo with Grub?

Be gentle...
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 12:17:20 pm »

Assuming you installed lilo to the mbr then first of all save your MBR just in case you end up buggering up your master boot record:

(as root in a terminal, and assuming the device you isntalled lilo to is /dev/hda):

#dd if=/dev/hda of=mymbrbackup bs=512 count=1
#grub-install /dev/hda

You may then have to edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file to set it up the way you like it.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: