VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 11:56:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 20090610 conky-1.7.1.1 [VL6.0]  (Read 1976 times)
toothandnail
Vectorian

« on: June 10, 2009, 10:45:48 am »

toothandnail has built a new Conky package for VectorLinux 6.0.

Code:
conky: conky (a light-weight system monitor)
conky:
conky: Conky is a system monitor for X originally based on the torsmo code.
conky: Since it's original conception, Conky has changed a fair bit from
conky: its predecessor. Conky can display just about anything, either on
conky: your root desktop or in it's own window. Conky has many built-in
conky: objects, as well as the ability to execute programs and scripts,
conky: then display the output from stdout
conky: License: GPL
conky: Authors: Brenden Mathews
conky: Website: http://conky.sourceforge,net/

After testing this package please stop back here and let us know how it works for you.

zhymm
Packager

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 11:09:42 am »

Doesn't produce a menu entry to start/stop, must be launched from terminal.  Used top to find it's PID to kill (stop).

If I were organized I'd be dangerous.
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 12:02:10 pm »

Doesn't produce a menu entry to start/stop, must be launched from terminal.  Used top to find it's PID to kill (stop).

Smiley It not intended to have a menu entry. Normally, under Xfce, you would set up its operating parameters in ~/.conkyrc, then start it either from a terminal with 'conky &' or from the run dialog (Alt-F2). When you log out, make sure that the 'save session for future logins' box is ticked. It will then restart every time you log in.

There are quite a lot of resources for setting up the various reporting functions that Conky supports. Have a look at the Conky home page (http://conky.sourceforge.net/) for some samples. As another option, have a look here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=281865

As an example of what it is most useful for, I have it displaying CPU and hard drive temprature, CPU frequency, CPU load, network traffic, IP address (for my laptop, since it uses DHCP, unlike my desktop machines), hard drive space on my / and /home partitions. The possibilities are almost endless.

Have fun.....

paul.
zhymm
Packager

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 06:32:02 am »

Aye, I'm aware of modifying ~/.conkyrc to suit one's needs, as well as having it launch at startup.  I guess I'm used to some distributions that have a conky on/off toggle in their menu (antiX comes to mind), which I thought was a nice feature.

A couple of other good threads about configuring conky can be found in the #!crunchbang forums:

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic/59/my-conky-config/

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic/2047/conky-help/

Enjoy.

Old Man Zhymm (a conky, old fool)

If I were organized I'd be dangerous.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 09:27:35 am »

I think it's missing a package (lua). I tried to install it but it came up blank.
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 10:15:37 am »

I think it's missing a package (lua). I tried to install it but it came up blank.

No. Not built with lua support - for some reason, the build process refused to accept the Vector lua package (I built the Zenwalk package with lua, haven't had time to work out why it doesn't accept the Vector package).

What are you using in your .conkyrc?

paul.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 12:23:30 pm »

Hi. It never got that far unfortunately; the package won't even configure without lua on my system (I un-bziped it and untarred it as usual first before trying to configure it). That's when I discovered lua was needed and missing.

Good to see you again btw. I didn't even get as far as installing Zenwalk 6.0 on my system; it gave me a "bad partitions: boundary overlap" error message in cfdisk when I booted it up. So did Deli 8. Vector (6, Light) installed without a hitch on the same disk though, strange.

I'm currently posting from Puppy 4.20 SUE, which is my "other " Linux distro at the moment and is a fine and good-looking distro although not as stable as Vector IME; at least the X Org part of it isn't. I frequently get dumped back to the command line on bootup and have to reconfigure  XOrg (which doesn't take long - there's a wizard for it in Puppy) to get back to X Windows. That's enough bagging on other distros though. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 02:18:51 pm by Colonel Panic » Logged
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 03:04:30 pm »

Hi. It never got that far unfortunately; the package won't even configure without lua on my system (I un-bziped it and untarred it as usual first before trying to configure it). That's when I discovered lua was needed and missing.

I'm confused - are you talking about the Vector package? If so, you should install using gslapt, which will pull in any necessary deps.

I'm not sure what the problem is with the Vector version of lua. I installed it, but still had to use the '--disable-lua' switch to configure before I could build it on Vector. Which is a pity, since it means that anyone interested in using lua with Conky will not be able to do so.

Good to see you again btw. I didn't even get as far as installing Zenwalk 6.0 on my system; it gave me a "bad partitions: boundary overlap" error message in cfdisk when I booted it up. So did Deli 8. Vector (6, Light) installed without a hitch on the same disk though, strange.

Smiley I wondered where you had gone. Strange about Zenwalk. I did hit a strange problem with it recently. Attempted to install it to an HP 2133 (?) netbook. The normal installer would partition the drive, but as soon as it had done so, could not find the CD to install from. Vector wouldn't install on that machine at all either. But the live version of Zenwalk did with no trouble. Very strange....

I'm currently posting from Puppy 4.20 SUE, which is my "other " Linux distro at the moment and is a fine and good-looking distro although not as stable as Puppy IME; at least the X Org part of it isn't. I frequently get dumped back to the command line on bootup and have to reconfigure  XOrg (which doesn't take long - there's a wizard for it in Puppy) to get back to X Windows. That's enough bagging on other distros though. Smiley

Grin

Anyhow, let me know if you can't run the Vector 1.7.1.1 conky package - it should work....

paul.
unicyclist

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 12:00:30 pm »

I'm running 6.0 Lite and tried upgrading system, but gslapt wouldn't upgrade conky:
conky: Depends: curl >= 7.16.2-i486-2_slack12.1
All I show in gslapt is: 7.16.2-i486-1_slack12.1

IBM Personal Computer 300GL, 350 mhz, 256 megs ram, VL6.0 Lite
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 02:17:26 pm »

I'm running 6.0 Lite and tried upgrading system, but gslapt wouldn't upgrade conky:
conky: Depends: curl >= 7.16.2-i486-2_slack12.1
All I show in gslapt is: 7.16.2-i486-1_slack12.1

Thanks for letting me know. Small problem which should now be fixed.

However..... In order to test any of the packages announced here, you need to enable the testing repo in gslapt, which is not normally enabled by default. Go to Edit > Preferences > Sources and tick the box for the testing repo, then update the slapt-get database (you should be prompted to do so).

If you didn't get the curl-7.16.2 package, you cannot have had testing enabled, which means that you would have been getting an earlier version of Conky (probably 1.7.0), not the one recently moved to testing.

I would suggest that you carry out a full update before you enable the testing repo, then enable testing only when you want to test a package. When you do so, it is a good idea to check any deps that are brought down with the package you downloaded to test.

It is much safer to leave testing out of the Gslapt list unless you are attempting to test - otherwise you will end up with all sorts of (possibly broken) things that you were not expecting.

paul.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 02:02:14 am »

I'm confused - are you talking about the Vector package? If so, you should install using gslapt, which will pull in any necessary deps.

I'm not sure what the problem is with the Vector version of lua. I installed it, but still had to use the '--disable-lua' switch to configure before I could build it on Vector. Which is a pity, since it means that anyone interested in using lua with Conky will not be able to do so.

Smiley I wondered where you had gone. Strange about Zenwalk. I did hit a strange problem with it recently. Attempted to install it to an HP 2133 (?) netbook. The normal installer would partition the drive, but as soon as it had done so, could not find the CD to install from. Vector wouldn't install on that machine at all either. But the live version of Zenwalk did with no trouble. Very strange....

I'm currently posting from Puppy 4.20 SUE, which is my "other " Linux distro at the moment and is a fine and good-looking distro although not as stable as Puppy IME; at least the X Org part of it isn't. I frequently get dumped back to the command line on bootup and have to reconfigure  XOrg (which doesn't take long - there's a wizard for it in Puppy) to get back to X Windows. That's enough bagging on other distros though. Smiley

Grin

Anyhow, let me know if you can't run the Vector 1.7.1.1 conky package - it should work....

paul.

Thanks for your reply. I bought a joblot of Linux CD's cheaply last week, and amongst them were a copy of each of 5.9 Gold and 5.9 SOHO. I installed SOHO and Conky runs fine in that one, which I'm posting from now.

BTW, I like Puppy a lot and have just upgraded to the latest version, 4.21; it's just a shame that it has one or two faults like that XOrg instability (and which is hard to fix, so you end up in XVesa when it goes wrong).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 02:06:04 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 01:36:26 pm »

By the way, I did eventually succeed in installing Zenwalk 6 but had a weird problem with it - every time I clicked on the terminal, X Windows crashed. I posted about it in the Zenwalk forum but the fix they gave me didn't work. So sadly (since I liked version 4), I've decided to give up on it. It's easy to try another distro nowadays, and I've got 3 recent versions of Vector to be going on with now (since I downloaded 6.0 Light a couple of weeks back).

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 11:35:25 pm by Colonel Panic » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: