VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 04:16:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: VL reviews, mentions, etc...  (Read 153836 times)
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #240 on: October 14, 2008, 02:32:02 pm »

Deleted
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 01:01:11 pm by tomh38 » Logged

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
beranger

« Reply #241 on: October 14, 2008, 10:14:42 pm »

Are you stupid, idiot, moron. or dumb?

What the foo do you need identity proof for? The whole argument was about PLANETE BERANGER NOT BEING BY DANIEL BERANGER!

Now go and stick you know what, you know where.

If this is the quality of the brains for the average VL user... I know why I am not using it.
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #242 on: October 14, 2008, 11:04:25 pm »

oh crap now we need to make a Romainian version to keep everyone happy............... Grin

vec
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #243 on: October 14, 2008, 11:59:18 pm »

If this is the quality of the brains for the average VL user... I know why I am not using it.
Question.  If you are not using Vector why are you here?
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #244 on: October 15, 2008, 05:55:15 am »

Deleted

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 01:01:40 pm by tomh38 » Logged

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #245 on: October 15, 2008, 08:02:25 am »

OK everyone, as your friendly moderator may I ask we discontinue this present discussion. I don't want to lock this thread as it is a valauble one with great links to VL Reviews, but if this line of discussion continues I might split off the past 14 posts to a seperate thread and lock it.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Larry

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #246 on: October 15, 2008, 09:05:08 am »

lagagnon: we can split the trash and lock that. I agree that this has gone way too far now.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #247 on: October 16, 2008, 11:21:29 am »

I want to apologize to both the Vector Linux community and to Béranger.  This whole mess started when I confused the author of Planète Béranger with a Red Hat consultant named Daniel Béranger.  Both are Linux professionals working in Europe and both are extremely sharp.  I removed the offending post and apologized to Béranger and that SHOULD have been the end of it.  Clearly it wasn't and tomh must have had some interesting comments which I missed.  He now has thought better of them and deleted them which, based on some reactions, was probably a wise thing to do.

It looks to me like things got out of hand on both sides.  The Planète Béranger blog is subtitled "strong and cynical opinions" so you need to take "Distro Hating Week" with that in mind.  It was, in essence, a rant.  Based on the release of Mandriva 2009 it is VERY EASY to see where Béranger is coming from.  For those of you who haven't looked at the latest Mandriva it is a bloody awful buggy disaster of a release. 

We also have to face the fact that for a solid year things just sat in testing for about forever and rarely if ever got moved into patches or extra.  The complaint about Vector Linux he makes was very valid for way too long.  When I volunteered to do a little repo work both JohnB316 and Vector made a point of writing me personally and asking me to fix that ASAP, which I've done to the best of my ability.  (The VL 5.8 repo still needs some work, BTW.)  My point is that the Vector developers saw and recognized the exact same issue that Béranger raised on his blog and wanted it fixed.

One of the things that drew me to the VL community is that the developers and senior community members have always been tolerant of constructive criticism and don't generally circle the wagons and get all defensive.  They take a much more positive approach and try to address the issues raised.  That's why I volunteer.

Béranger is not known for being diplomatic and he was clearly upset at the case of mistaken identity.  That was entirely my fault.  I acknowledge that and I did apologize for it.  While I never saw Tom's posts it seems to me like there was a whole lot of overreaction on both sides after that.  Not good.  Driving Béranger, a prominent Linux blogger with a large readership, away from this distro is a huge mistake.  He has Planète Béranger.  Let's not turn the VL forum into  Planète Déranger, OK?  Keeping responses civil is always the preferred way of dealing with what was originally an honest mistake on my part that got blown way out of proportion.

Oh, and Vector, Romanian is a romance language written with Latin glyphs.  Everything we need for Romanian localization is already in place or in the works.  If we use gdm instead of kdm to allow easy switching of languages and add a keyboard switching utility that actually changes xorg.conf similar to the one in Wolvix we're home free.

Respectfully,
Caitlyn
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 11:25:07 am by caitlyn » Logged

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #248 on: October 16, 2008, 09:23:57 pm »

oh crap now we need to make a Romainian version to keep everyone happy............... Grin

vec
Ah that was a good one!  Cheesy
But I'm sure Romanian language support must be in there for the 6.0 build, eh?
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #249 on: October 17, 2008, 02:55:42 am »

Oh, and Vector, Romanian is a romance language written with Latin glyphs.  Everything we need for Romanian localization is already in place or in the works.  If we use gdm instead of kdm to allow easy switching of languages and add a keyboard switching utility that actually changes xorg.conf similar to the one in Wolvix we're home free.

Respectfully,
Caitlyn

OK so that is more for the wish list for 6.0 or 6.1?  gdm for log in and use the Wolvix keyboard utility, would it take a lot to get that incorporated to VASM and its graphic equivalent?   Certainly that would go someway to making Vector more international friendly....

Back to the orginal nature of this thread, I see Vector being mentioned in the packaging crib sheet on Distrowatch weekly and also it gets an honourable mention in the November issue of Linux Format here... a report about the 10th Birthday in their newsbytes section.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #250 on: October 17, 2008, 05:54:16 am »

Back to the orginal nature of this thread...

Indeed! We also got a mention at LinuxDevices, a site I follow daily, with regard to our commitment to Dillo in the lightweight browser category:
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3205239546.html

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #251 on: October 17, 2008, 01:39:32 pm »

Back to the orginal nature of this thread, I see Vector being mentioned in the packaging crib sheet on Distrowatch weekly.
They got the slapt-get commands all wrong in the cheat-sheet! All the options have to start with two dashes , eg.

slapt-get --install pkg

instead of

slapt-get install pkg

Indeed! We also got a mention at LinuxDevices, a site I follow daily, with regard to our commitment to Dillo in the lightweight browser category:
Their link to Vector Linux is a link to a 2 year old release announcement (Soho 5.1 live)!

Getting attention is good, but correct and up to date info is more important IMO...

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #252 on: October 17, 2008, 05:11:46 pm »

Getting attention is good, but correct and up to date info is more important IMO...

Agreed. On the distropedia page here http://www.cafelinux.org/distropedia/node/22, Vector Linux is American and the latest version is stated as 5.8 (with the link to the iso also being 5.8 ).

Don't know if anyone reads distropedia, though...  Wink
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #253 on: October 17, 2008, 05:57:23 pm »

Their link to Vector Linux is a link to a 2 year old release announcement (Soho 5.1 live)!

Dang! I didn't think to check that, figured it was a link to the VL website... Sad

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #254 on: October 17, 2008, 06:03:01 pm »

Where do we send the T-shirts?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: