VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 02:46:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: VL reviews, mentions, etc...  (Read 153831 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #255 on: October 17, 2008, 07:08:37 pm »

Are we going to put the new Dillo back into VL 6?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #256 on: October 19, 2008, 10:28:28 pm »

@Granny:  Already done.  The package announcements for both 5.9 and 6.0 will be up shortly and AFAIK it should be on the next set of 6.0 isos for Std and Light.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #257 on: November 21, 2008, 11:51:28 am »

Someone confused VL-Light with VL-STD here
http://lightlinux.blogspot.com/2008/09/vector-linux-60-alpha-2-released.html

But still mentioned the upcoming 6.0 releases Wink

vovane

« Reply #258 on: November 24, 2008, 12:50:53 pm »

VL 5.8 and 5.9 were mentioned in russian version of LinuxFormat magazine,that's where i first heard about vector Smiley And the article was "How to retask old pc",dont remember exactly and i am mistaking in translation anyway Smiley
todds

« Reply #259 on: November 30, 2008, 11:26:39 am »

Hello all vector linux is mentioned in the current issue of micro mart here in uk,it looks like it will be the subject of a how to install article at some point soon.The brief mention states next month vector linux.. thats it.

it is mentioned at the end of a three page how to install article on ubuntu,hopefully vector will get just as much coverage.

thanks

adrian 

VL 6.0 RC3 on Athlon AMD Athlon™ 2650e Emachines D620
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #260 on: December 11, 2008, 10:35:40 am »

Forgot to post this on Monday, we have a review of VL6 beta2 on DW weekly, by our very own Caitlyn:
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20081208#feature
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 10:02:22 am by Joe1962 » Logged

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #261 on: December 11, 2008, 04:58:20 pm »

Nice review. Thanks, Caitlin!
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
todds

« Reply #262 on: January 05, 2009, 01:07:44 pm »

Hello all vector linux is mentioned in the current issue of micro mart here in uk,it looks like it will be the subject of a how to install article at some point soon.The brief mention states next month vector linux.. thats it.

it is mentioned at the end of a three page how to install article on ubuntu,hopefully vector will get just as much coverage.

thanks

adrian 

Further to my last post i am pleased to announce that vector linux 5.9 is subject to a four page installation guide in the current micro mart,it is even mentioned on the front of the magazine,it is full of colour screen shots showing the installation process in all of its glory.

Iam very impressed with this and hopefully it will encourage a few new users to take up with vector.

Thans

todders

VL 6.0 RC3 on Athlon AMD Athlon™ 2650e Emachines D620
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #263 on: January 05, 2009, 01:14:34 pm »

very nice

Macdaddy

« Reply #264 on: January 28, 2009, 09:05:19 pm »

VectorLinux gets an unkindly intended screen shot in this post http://blogs.zdnet.com/projectfailures/?p=1235 titled "Why I love Windows 7, hate Linux, and think the Mac is lame" by Krigsman.

I think the post is passing VL off as a typical "difficult to install "  or "advanced" linux distro.  One linux'r tried to tell the world there's less difficult systems to use.  I thought that guy missed the mark so I tried to make positive comments about VL and shared my less that positive experiences with others.

Well, there's a mention, maybe not the kind you're looking for.  You probably need to do some damage control if you can.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #265 on: January 28, 2009, 09:48:26 pm »

@Macdaddy:  I wouldn't worry about it.  ZDNet writes an anti-Linux diatribe every few days.  Nothing you can do about that.  That they chose a VL boot with the bootsplash (graphical boot) turned off just shows they were fishing to make a point to the uninformed.  Let it go.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #266 on: January 29, 2009, 03:05:48 am »

That they chose a VL boot with the bootsplash (graphical boot) turned off just shows they were fishing to make a point to the uninformed.

Yea, I guess all those lines can really put people off.... Some of my friends have commented about how boot messages look "old-fashioned" or whatever...
I really like seeing them scroll by to see what's going on. Cannot find any rational argument for why having them hidden is a good thing (except maybe an asthetic thing, if you make a bootsplash out of your holiday snaps or something).
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #267 on: January 29, 2009, 12:08:19 pm »

I read that, too, and thought "how ridiculous!" The boot messages have nothing to do with how easy or hard VL is to use. In fact, messages just like that scroll by in Windows, too, but are hidden from the user by the initial screen. You can hear all the stuff loading as you're waiting for the desktop to appear, so if you set up Windows to show the messages, would that make it harder to use?Huh
--GrannyGeek

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #268 on: January 29, 2009, 03:47:59 pm »

Simply an ignorant review by an ignoramus. There are plenty of those around  Cheesy

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #269 on: January 29, 2009, 05:42:36 pm »

I really don't understand the attraction of lifting up Windows at the expense of other operating systems.  I mean, Mac is kind of the little guy, so Mac people feel understandably threatened and insecure, and so naturally are defensive about their OS.  Linux is an even littler guy, so the same thing applies to an even greater extent, especially when there's so much ignorance about even the existence of Linux out there.

One thing does come to mind.  Mac people and Linux people attack Windows not just because they feel intimidated, but because Windows has serious flaws which Microsoft has never really addressed.  The Conficker worm?  Malware for Windows (though that it only infects Windows machines is not often mentioned in the news).  True, Microsoft issued a patch for this way back in October, so much of the guilt rests on the users.  I know that Microsoft is taking security more seriously than they used to, but that they're the top dog means that there isn't much pressure on them to take it as seriously as they should.

So, serious Windows users know this, at least on some level.  The author of the ZDNet article knows that in some respects Windows (all varieties, Vista and Windows 7 included) is inferior to OS X and to Linux.  So what does the author do?  Does he acknowledge that the various operating systems available for home and business use have their strong and weak points?  No, of course not, that would be a boring column.  Instead, he puts down the Mac and Linux and talks a little about how great Windows 7 is (without going into any real detail, of course).

The title of the blog piece says a lot:  "Why I love Windows 7, hate Linux, and think the Mac is lame."  I imagine the author doesn't know enough about Linux even to hate it.  As for his opinion of the Mac, it actually applies more to Apple's marketing (annoying to me at least, but most marketing is) than it does to the OS itself.  So the actual substance of this piece comes down to the fact that somebody out there loves Windows 7.  Kind of thin soup, if you ask me.  More like something that should be on a MySpace page than the once-great Ziff-Davis.

And yes, Windows 7 still has the infamous Blue Screen of Death:  http://reformedmusings.wordpress.com/2009/01/27/will-windows-7-kill-linux/.  Scroll down a bit to see  a screenshot.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: