VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 03:04:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: VL reviews, mentions, etc...  (Read 149373 times)
helios

« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2007, 04:29:35 pm »

http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/25298/
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2007, 08:24:11 pm »

The page looks fine here in Opera and Firefox 2.0.0.3 on two different computers.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2007, 12:44:45 pm »

Theres a new review of SOHO-5.8 at linux.com.......................... Grin
http://distrocenter.linux.com/distrocenter/07/05/16/1816255.shtml?tid=127

cheers,
vec
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2007, 12:29:21 am »

And then loads of negative comments from people who responded to the review... slackware dumbed down etc....
flor

« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2007, 01:07:41 am »

http://osnews.com/story.php/17953/VectorLinux-SOHO-a-Better-Slackware-Than-Slackware/
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2007, 06:51:20 am »

And then loads of negative comments from people who responded to the review... slackware dumbed down etc....

The comments on the OSNews page are mostly positive:

http://osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=17953

The guy called "garymax" seems to be posting canned copy/paste messages... Roll Eyes

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2007, 01:10:45 pm »

I think the poster was really trying to say "eased-up"

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
incognu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2007, 07:49:16 pm »

I have to disagree with the comment someone made about VL being dumbed-down, especially the comment that it's dumbed-down by "paring down of features"

I usually dislike anything of that sort;  I felt that a few distros I've looked at were like that and they turned me off.

I don't find anything really missing in VL, nor any choices/features missing.  VL has, imo, done an excellent job of being both easy to install and run while at the same time allowing those who want to, to get under the hood and tinker.  It seems accessible to both types of user.

I haven't run Slackware (yet), so I admit I could be missing something here.  I used Debian 3.1 for quite some time, though, and while I think VL is easier and quicker for the average user to set up than Debian Sarge was, I don't find it "dumbed-down" (restrictively lacking in features, treating the user like an idiot, keeping choices and configuration options from the user) compared to Debian.  If I did, I wouldn't be here now.

Just my 2¢, as they say, because "improving" things by dumbing them down is a pet peeve of mine.

Vector Linux 6.0 Light
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2007, 12:02:16 pm »

I haven't run Slackware (yet), so I admit I could be missing something here.  I used Debian 3.1 for quite some time, though, and while I think VL is easier and quicker for the average user to set up than Debian Sarge was, I don't find it "dumbed-down" (restrictively lacking in features, treating the user like an idiot, keeping choices and configuration options from the user) compared to Debian.  If I did, I wouldn't be here now.

I used Slackware before I used Vector.

It's true that it forces you to learn a little more about Linux to use proficiently, but you tend to end up with a lot of jerry-built crap when you don't have things like vl-hot.

automount dæmon, spare me...

metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2007, 08:20:24 pm »

I defended VL on 3 threads. One was not very nice.
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2007, 02:07:07 pm »

I defended VL on 3 threads. One was not very nice.
Darrell

Yes indeed.

I have an idea for an RPG about Internet forua like zdnet and digg. It's called 'Tards & Trolls 1st Edition.

What "missing ingredients" is garymax talking about anyway? Our functionality is a superset.

metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2007, 03:01:24 pm »

Remember when I said I wanted to protec the current forum from Mr. Ugly Dick. well here he is big as life itself.  He is just the beginning. As we muscle our way out of the BOX everyone expects us to be in. Others will try to stuff us back into it. The latgerst mistake we can make is to take away from our current efforts to concentrate on him or them. I learned a long time ago that some folks just want attention no matter if it is negative or positive. So forget about it for now anyway. We have lots to do.
regards
Darrell

metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2007, 10:17:18 pm »

BTW, I got a "caution", and "Chill Dude", on one forum and I am having trouble signing in on another, weird worked fine at first..LOL I am a tiny bit concerned as I spoke for VL and all of us and maybe should not have...anyway. If you are concerned let me know we can talk about it.
Didn't let them get away with anything, another of our clan was there as well and did a fine job defending VL. Thanks.
Well back to work. see you in the lounge.
Regards
Darrell

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2007, 04:45:24 pm »

A couple of things to keep in mind:

*  It's not that important. Not that many people read these things. I doubt anyone seriously thinking of trying Linux, or VectorLinux, would be put off by rantings. And if they would be put off, who needs them?<g>

*  Don't get emotional about it. Stick to facts and reasonable opinion. Reasonable people can disagree, but reasonable people disagree reasonably. Sounding like a fanboy may get the attention of other fanboys, but people like me think "What Jerks!" about all of them.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2007, 07:43:31 pm »

Amen GrannyGeek Amen
You'all have a good Memorial Day weekend. Support your troops.
I do. As in support Canadians in Afghanistan.
Thanks for everything, really appreciate it all. Shine on VL. shine on...
Darrell

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: