VectorLinux
September 19, 2014, 11:35:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: VL reviews, mentions, etc...  (Read 147371 times)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2007, 10:14:09 pm »

Vector Linux mentioned 3 times in Reader Comments to DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 194 March 19, 2007, on subject of "geeky vs easy" distros. One positive, one negative, one hopeful.

Most of the negative comments that I've seen about VL are things like:

"VectorLinux suX0rz dudez!"

"Any particular reason?"

"...[no reply]..."

Roll Eyes

So they really don't count...

Sounds like what happens when you hit up a Microsoft apologist with the Halloween Documents.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2007, 03:01:40 am »

Sounds like what happens when you hit up a Microsoft apologist with the Halloween Documents.

Hehe, indeed!  Cheesy

nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2007, 10:54:46 am »

we got a bogie at the top of the DistroWatch list re VL 5.8 SOHO RC2.
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2007, 09:17:51 am »

Here is a rather affectionate review by Don Parris of LXer.com, posted April 25, 2007:

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/86093/index.html
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 09:19:39 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2007, 11:50:47 am »

Indeed, it is a nicely literate review!

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2007, 01:09:51 pm »

I agree with Joe, that was nice.

From the review:
My first computer used the AT-style keyboard and a serial port for the mouse.

Wow!, my first one was a Sinclair (some clone of the CZ Spectrum, an ooooold 8-bit computer with some kind of BASIC based shell) with no mouse at all, you need to plug it to the TV, 16k of ram and a 3.5Mhz cpu. I dont miss the 80s at all   Cheesy.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2007, 08:22:28 pm »

I don't know when he wrote the article, but OOo is in our repositories. It rubbed me the wrong way when he said, "While Abiword and Gnumeric are capable, you'll want the SOHO edition if you need OpenOffice.org." I've had OOo on 5.8 Standard since the beta days. Before we had it in the repositories, I probably got it from linuxpackages.net. I'd hope that someone reviewing a Slackware-based distro would be aware of that site, as well as slacky.it.

And of course, I said "Oh no, not again" when I read this: "I installed Vector Linux on an ancient HP vectra, a PII-450MHz box with 192MB RAM." Just once, I'd like to see a review of VL installed on a screaming new machine. We need to get out of the geriatric computers ghetto.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2007, 05:30:17 am »

VL is mentioned on this page with a significant typo:

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT7386380154.html

"700GB" is an awful big footprint.

Isn't SJVN confusing size of downloaded .ISO with footprint (after installation)? What is the footprint of a VL 5.8 Std installation?

EDIT: Steven meant 700MB, not 700GB (typo).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 01:02:15 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2007, 09:08:38 am »

My understanding of "footprint" is the amount of memory (virtual and physical) a program takes when loaded. Thus to apply that term to a complete OS is perhaps not appropriate...but trying to follow the "train of thought" I suspect that would a reference to the amount of disk space that the OS takes when installed. For VL 5.8 Std. Gold it's around 2.5-2.8 Gb for a full install IIRC. For the current VL 5.8 SOHO RC3 it's a bit more than 3Gb on my machine. Obviously one can add or remove packages which will be an influence on the final amount.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
helios

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2007, 12:45:19 pm »

While it wasn't a full review by any means, I did get the chance to mention Vector as one of 4 brilliant distros that don't get the attention they deserve.  I only had so many words in the interview so I had to keep them down.  Those of you who know me might realize what a struggle that was.  At any rate, I did mention you but only because it's true.  Excerpt here, link follows:

OSWeekly.com: Was it a tough call to "sponsor" all distributions in a blanket effort instead of choosing the most popular options?

Ken Starks: No, not at all. In fact, I could not see it being done in any other way.  I've "worn" this Advocate hat for almost three years, and if there is one thing I have learned, it's that some of the most stunning innovation is being done inside the smaller distribution communities.  Take projects, such as Vector Linux, Elive, Nimblex and Sidux.  All of these distributions have done some fairly amazing things to enhance their particular environment.  While all of them are impressive, I would point in particular to Elive.  The Enlightenment desktop isn't well known, but with the things this wizard has done to presentation, it takes both Elive and Enlightenment to an entirely higher level. No, this has to be inclusive of all efforts here.  To do anything else would not serve the community as a whole.

Like I said, it was only a blurb, but with a slashdot audience, it can't do anything but help.  Besides, I did not want the next question to be "What distro do you personally run"?  Answering "Vector" and "Mepis" would have been a bit clumsy.

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=&task=view&id=2541
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2007, 04:00:43 am »

From this week's DistroWatch Weekly:

Distribution usage based on browser statistics

Last week, a reader emailed us this question: "Have you ever thought of the idea to analyse the HTTP headers the browser sends and use that to generate statistics of what people are using? That would IMHO be a much more interesting statistic." The simple answer is "yes". In fact this data is already available courtesy of the Awstats traffic analyser and can be accessed here.

The question has prompted us to extend the Awstats program to include other distributions that were not originally tracked by Awstats, at least those that provide a custom browser string which enables their identification; these include BLAG, Elive, Gentoo Linux, KateOS, Kubuntu, Linspire, MEPIS Linux, Linux Mint, Pardus Linux, PCLinuxOS and Vine Linux. These distributions were only added to the list on 29 April (before that, they were classified as "unknown/unspecified"), so the statistics for April are not accurate, but starting from next month, the page should give more complete data about the usage of the various distributions by the visitors of DistroWatch. However, web browsers of many other distributions, including those in Slackware, KNOPPIX, SabayonLinux, VectorLinux, Puppy Linux and Zenwalk, don't identify themselves in any distinct way, so we won't be able to count those.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 04:02:20 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2007, 06:12:41 am »

LXer has an article about the VL-Madtux alliance:

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/87178/index.html

Technical support for the LMG will be offered directly by the world-renowned technical experts who developed Vector Linux
  Grin

nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2007, 06:24:38 am »

easuter:

That page at LXer does not render well in IE6 or Firefox 2.0.0.3, that is, the final letters in the right margin are cut off, words truncated. The article is hard to read. LXer should be apprised.

HP Presario 2108US laptop, 15-inch screen, ATI Mobility Radeon
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 07:28:20 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2007, 06:30:37 am »

Quote from: nubcnubdo
easuter:

That page at LXer does not render well in IE6 or Firefox 2.0.0.3, that is, the final letters in the right margin are cut off, words truncated.

No render issues here. Works fine on Firefox 2.0.0.3 and Opera too (for me at least).

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2007, 09:54:49 am »

A British computer weekly called Micro Mart has featured Vector 5.8 as one of the new distributions they're analysing (along with Xubuntu and others I believe);

http://www.micromart.co.uk/default.aspx

I'm referring to the paper copy, which I don't have as yet and from which articles sometimes (but not always) appear online, so we'll see.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 09:59:05 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: