VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 10:12:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: VL reviews, mentions, etc...  (Read 141452 times)
thecdn

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2006, 05:31:56 pm »

Nice write up of 5.8 RC3 at KnoLinux

http://knolinux.com/2006/12/11/vector-linux-58-rc3--slackware-that-works-and-works-well.aspx
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2006, 12:50:34 am »

Agreed...nice review. Anyone wanting to see the install dialog graphics should be pointed to this article. Perhaps a subtle issue with the text-based installer is that it takes less space on the CD so there is more room for the "good" stuff. Also anyone who istalled Windows 3.x or NT will not be intimidated by the limited graphics of a TUI install.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2006, 03:39:07 pm »

http://distrocenter.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/21/166220

A very nice review of 5.8, though some things surprise me, like no OOorg on the repo, and no automounting in KDE? Also, he seems to have found Dropline Gnome on this Forum, rather than Freerock?

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
hanimal
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2006, 07:02:38 pm »

...an attractive OS for those who just want to browse the Web...

Huh Huh  Huh

The reviewer clearly needs to take a second look at VL 5.8.  Vector Linux ships with many tools (such as GCC) that are far beyond "just browsing the web."  Vector Linux ships with these tools by default, along with many other tools for more "hard-core" Linuxers, such as Midnight Commander and Lynx.

Vector Linux does the same things as other distros, but with 1/4 the bloat, 1/2 the work, and 2x the speed!
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2006, 07:16:31 pm »

Vector Linux ships with many tools (such as GCC) that are far beyond "just browsing the web."
I was just thinking along those same lines...

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2006, 06:18:20 am »

Some of the people who have replied to the otherwise quite positive review have been quite snotty about some of the features, like including non-free stuff and "an ugly theme" - Is it just me or are some of the replies from people who have beefs not directed at Vector in particular but certain ideas in general?  It is a shame but in the Linux world some people are relentlessly negative about everyone else other than their own favoured distro.
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2006, 07:07:53 am »

Some of the people who have replied to the otherwise quite positive review have been quite snotty about some of the features, like including non-free stuff and "an ugly theme" - Is it just me or are some of the replies from people who have beefs not directed at Vector in particular but certain ideas in general?  It is a shame but in the Linux world some people are relentlessly negative about everyone else other than their own favoured distro.

Indeed...probably gNewSense users / Stallmanites....
Setting a new theme is only a few clicks away. Besides, which users of other distros stick to the default theme forever anyway, even if it is appealing?

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2006, 09:00:11 am »

It is a shame but in the Linux world some people are relentlessly negative about everyone else other than their own favoured distro.

IMO this is the rate-limiting factor for linux in the desktop market.

saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2006, 09:26:15 am »

Indeed, how incredibly selfish it is of those programmers to give their software away in such a manner! Roll Eyes

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2006, 01:43:35 pm »

Indeed...probably gNewSense users / Stallmanites....
Setting a new theme is only a few clicks away. Besides, which users of other distros stick to the default theme forever anyway, even if it is appealing?

In general I agree all the software in an ideal world would be free in free speech, however this is the real world.  Computers are tools, and if you can't use them to the fullest then you will switch to methods that enable you to do so.  Yes we should support efforts to create decent gpl compliant 3d accelerated graphics drivers for all cards etc. but we are not their yet.  For me Vector is well balanced, it gives me the tools to use my computer to the full.  That is as it should be.   I have the freedom to change things I don't like or to remove software that offends my ethics.  And full info is given before you download.

Any way back to Vector 5.8, its great, downloaded a few things, am now migrating to this as my main distro.  Looks great and works well on this machine.  Installed Nvidia drivers and its all working well :-)  This is an Athlon running at 1.3GHz, with 256 MB RAM.  Nothing special and it flies.  Also works well on my lower spec 733MHz Compaq with an intel onboard shared graphics and 128 MB RAM.... though can't get 3d acceleration running on that (but only old versions of Mandarke ever managed that).

Again congratulations to all concerned, another very usable distro.
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2006, 07:42:02 pm »

VL 5.8 standard was announced at desktoplinux.com today. See the announcement here: http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3173867971.html

Cheers,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2007, 02:38:57 pm »

TechieMoe at LinuxForums is a long time linux user, and has taken up the hobby of every now and then reviewing (maybe more like ranting) about a distro, from the common user's perspective: "Does is install easily?"; "Can I play my music and watch videos?"; "Whats its overall performace?"; "What extras are included (eg: dev tools, and kernel-src)?"; "Will it just work out-of-the-box?".
Then the rating is in penguins. VL 5.8 got 4,5/5 penguins  Wink

http://www.techiemoe.com/tech/vectorstd58.htm

this is pretty good, because most distros will lose points simply if lots manual configuration has to be done, or if they rely to heavily on the internet to get things going (eg: Ubunto), and normaly don't ever go over 3 or 4 penguins maximum.  Smiley

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2007, 03:05:55 pm »

the rating is in penguins. VL 5.8 got 4,5/5 penguins

More precisely, we got 3,5 out of 4 penguins. Which is slightly less.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2007, 03:10:00 pm »

the rating is in penguins. VL 5.8 got 4,5/5 penguins

More precisely, we got 3,5 out of 4 penguins. Which is slightly less.

Yeah...well, still only 0.5 from the top.
Not many get that much.  Wink

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2007, 11:11:08 pm »

TechieMoe is only reporting what the VL community at large already knew. Hopefully a lot of people will read the review and come to VL. If they do they probably won't go elsewhere after that.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: