VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 05:37:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 questions  (Read 3761 times)
degarb

« on: June 12, 2009, 05:14:05 am »

1. How do I get file sharing to work with VL light?

2.  I need to edit xls and doc files. So i gsplat found koffice, clked install, it installed and dl fine, then what?  where would be koffice?  I see no program files or desktop icon.  I rebooted and nothing.

3. I don't want a manual unless a searchable chm (this is kid computer and no time to spend hours reading what should take seconds to see.) I want a simple one page glossary of all the gibberish directory names and gibberish menu names.  Linux people seem to prefer gibberish - as it make things fun to spend  time googling-.  Example: gsplat, which common sense menu name would be "find new programs".  or look at dir system naming.   Gibberish, gibberish, gibberish...  Probably all according to distro too.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:15:55 am by degarb » Logged
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 06:35:30 am »

I haven't used VL Light so I don't know this for sure but I think there is a way to edit the menu entries so they say whatever you want them to say. For example, instead of "Gslapt" you might change it to be "Get new packages" or something.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 07:21:20 am »

No man worth his salt looks a gift horse in the mouth.  And if he does, he rarely gets another.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 09:26:06 am »

1. How do I get file sharing to work with VL light?

Are you trying to share files with another Windows machine, another Linux machine or just a seperate Windows partition? Please be more specific so we can help you.
2.  I need to edit xls and doc files. So i gsplat found koffice, clked install, it installed and dl fine, then what?  where would be koffice?  I see no program files or desktop icon.  I rebooted and nothing.
I recommend OpenOffice rather than KOffice, as it is better at dealing with Microsoft formats. Then you won't need all the KDE libraries either. Remember after you install it to update the menu. BTW I think you are pushing the envelope trying to run modern office software on that old machine, IMHO.
3. I don't want a manual unless a searchable chm
Too bad. All we have is an html manual. See the website. If you would like to volunteer to translate the html to chm for us we won't complain.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 04:57:28 pm »

If you installed KOffice, your VL6 Light is no longer light. KOffice is a collection of KDE programs and needs large chunks of KDE to run. It eats up lots of disk space and system resources. I suggest removing KOffice and I would suggest installing OpenOffice, which many would say is more compatible with Microsoft Office formats and does not require KDE, except that OpenOffice would be intolerably slow on old hardware.

If you want something lighter that can handle PowerPoint, Excel, and Doc formats, you could try SoftMaker Office for Linux. It is not a free program or open source, however. It costs  about 70 euros. It is much lighter and faster than KOffice or OpenOffice, however, and is compatible with MS Office formats.

The directory and menu names don't seem to be gibberish to me. If you're not willing to spend a little time learning a different operating system (Linux), you'll have nothing but constant frustration.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
degarb

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 07:06:32 pm »

I will have to try abiword and someone suggested another for excell...  Need to find distro for vector or slackware and research how to install.

I am pointing out that incomprehensible directory names or manu names vague or otherwise, will only hurt the Project  chances of success.  THis easy to fix point is probably over looked by advanced, post-adjusted users.  Without success the platform becomes less useful with fewer options for us.  I Actually, spent best part of last 7 days getting Linux and networking running.  How many days does it take? I know how many it should. 1996: It took about all of an hour to install my windows 95 and find the control panel and how to install and run programs. Now it took about 3 to 4 years to find best windows software for core tasks, and has been accruing ever since with hours and investment.

I also need a better filer for looking at the drives and folder system, something like like windows commander.  Also, I don't care how many times I have been told there is a virtual folder system, sorry it makes no sense to me since it isn't reality.  I am logical, not virtual, I cannot accept that some folder has equal or greater structure than the root of the partition its self. I cannot and will not even have that discussion.  I can accept my documents as above a windows partition only because I know that, for mom, this is only folder she cares about.  Give me 20 with unreadable names that need an overhaul about 18 years ago, above my mounted partitions and I think your  too toleranly accepting Olaf's best 1987 dir names he could think up late one night while designing a complex core system, as still being valid today without reform.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 09:10:00 pm »

I will have to try abiword and someone suggested another for excell...  Need to find distro for vector or slackware and research how to install.

AbiWord and Gnumeric are in the VectorLinux repos. Run Gslapt and type AbiWord in the top search box and anything related to AbiWord will be listed. Check what you want to install. Same for Gnumeric. Then click on Execute. The packaging system will download any dependencies you need and install the programs. In the IceWM "Start" menu under System, click on Update Menu, then Start menu, Logout, Restart IceWM and AbiWord and Gnome should be in the programs list. IceWM sometimes doesn't put something in the menu, I don't know why. If they're not in the menu you can start them by typing
abiword
or
gnumeric
at a terminal prompt.

I am pointing out that incomprehensible directory names or manu names vague or otherwise, will only hurt the Project  chances of success.  THis easy to fix point is probably over looked by advanced, post-adjusted users.

Actually, this issue has been discussed extensively. For various reasons it was decided not to stray too far from what you see now. It's not as easy to fix as you think. Surely you're not suggesting that all directory names in Windows are comprehensible???

Changing well-established Linux directory names and arrangements has the effect of making things harder for experienced Linux users and making a distro incompatible with programs that expect a standard Linux file system and file names. There are distros that have opted for "dumbing down" Linux in hopes of making things easier for Windows users. If you don't want a true Linux approach, use one of them. Linux has something for everyone.

I also need a better filer for looking at the drives and folder system, something like like windows commander.

What exact program are you calling "windows commander"? There are various "commanders" based on the design of Norton Commander. If you want a dual-pane file manager in Linux, Midnight Commander gives you that and a lot more and is very easy to use. However, it is very feature-rich and it'll require some learning on your part to take full advantage of what it offers. Open a terminal and type
mc
at the prompt. VL Light also comes with xfe (X File Explorer), which can be set up to display two panes just by clicking on an icon. Want a single pane? Click on another icon. xfe is a very customizable program. Spend some time with it and see what it can do.

I don't know what you're talking about with "virtual folders" and folders above a windows partition. There are folders like /sys whose files don't exist on the drive, but a normal user doesn't need to know that or ever look in those folders. If someone is interested only in My Documents, VL Light has that folder right on the Desktop.

Linux is not Windows. If you won't be satisfied unless Linux becomes a Windows lookalike, I'd stop right now and just stick with Windows. If you want to use Linux, learn the Linux way and don't fight it. It's not difficult! And if you want to be logical, Linux is very logical.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 06:59:35 am »

I think the "virtual folders" concept comes from Windows. If you look in windows explorer, you will see My Documents and Desktop "above" the file system, when they actually are located somewhere like "C:\Documents and Settings\Username". You can navigate to that location using the file tree if you want to. Of course, this may have changed since XP, the last version that I used. They keep changing stuff for no apparent good reason.

Program naming: A descriptive name for Gslapt would be something like: "Browse and find programs from multiple, customizable worldwide locations, as well as maintenance actions like install, update and remove applications". Linux applications come from all corners of the world, written and maintained by thousands of programmers. The name on the menu is included in the program packages. An descriptive name like the example above only makes sense to an English speaker. A shorter, technical name is more practical and usable in most languages.

I agree with Granny. If you want windows, pay the price and use windows. Linux is not windows, does not need to pretend to be, and does not need to make excuses for being what it is.
degarb

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 08:27:18 am »

Again, impressed with support here.  Thanks. ...Still poking around to find out how to get/share files with xp and 98 machine via router.

Ease argument: Being commercial, Microsoft has been good at testing and working to make things intuitive. I have programmed and know it takes days of coding to make things easier, if you are fortunate to figure out the intuitive way of doing things.   It is easier to keep thing hard, for the programmer.

Linus could rule: Apart from my time, I-like most users- am more prone to invest time into something that will eventually get a good market share, and be application and hardware rich.   Linux is free, make it easy and compatible and it will take 3 years to topple Microsoft.  I understand the file sytem change concern, but seriously believe this is fixable (making names reable and navigation easier without breaking) with enough creativity.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 09:00:58 am »

Glad to see you sticking around and trying to figure it out.

I would highly recommend a full install of KDE for your purposes. It looks and works a lot more like windows than other environments. For example: to browse to another windows computer, you can click
Start > Run > \\192.168.1.xxx and hit enter (use actual IP or computer name),
exactly like you do in WXP. Konqueror offers an interface and right-click functionality similar to windows explorer.

To perform this installation, use Gslapt, click Edit > Preferences > Sources tab, and check the box for the "testing" repo. Click OK, let it finish. Now search for KDE. Find and install kdebase, kdeadmin, kdemultimedia, kdegraphics, kdenetwork, kdeutils, k3b and any other ones you may want. Amarok is a great music player/manager.
degarb

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 09:23:10 am »

Okay, I installed gnumeric and abiword, but no startup item. I can run>abiword okay.  But this wont work of family computer.  I would take months to train them and they would never accept this.    I scanned the computer for abiword but don't see the executable.  Moreover, I see no way of creating a shortcut on desktop etc. once I find it.

As far as networking, I tried windowsnetwork>scan>then mounted>then tried to setup auto mounting (manual mounting is another huge stumbling block since why one wouldn't want something they connect to computer to connect makes no inuitive sense.)...I see a bunch of machine names even the printer.  Clicking some of these names and it asks me for a samba usernames and password.  DO I need to run samba on the xp machine?  I set a user on the windows machine, but that username and pass doesn't seem to work.

This is old machine 266 mhz and 133 ram, with about 6 gigs free on drive.  I am guessing kde wouldn't work.  I like puppy interface, though only brief experience with it since I couldn't get ethernet card to work and switched to vector light.
degarb

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 09:46:01 am »

//192.168.0.11  did work.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 10:07:02 am »

Okay, I installed gnumeric and abiword, but no startup item.

To update the menu for new entry....'Menu'>'System'>'Update Menu'   then choose 'Refresh Menu'

This will ad abiword and gnumeric to your menu.

Moreover, I see no way of creating a shortcut on desktop etc. once I find it.

The simplest way to make a short-cut on the desktop is to simply copy the .desktop file from /usr/share/applications to the desktop.

Example
in terminal
cp /usr/share/applications/abiword.desktop /home/yourusername/Desktop/abiword.desktop
cp /usr/share/applications/gnumeric.desktop /home/yourusername/Desktop/gnumeric.desktop

I see a bunch of machine names even the printer.  Clicking some of these names and it asks me for a samba usernames and password.
If you have not set a samba username and password then they are both blank.
Just press enter through them.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
degarb

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 10:31:01 am »

Thanks, got it to update. I would say, why not automatic, but will refrain. I will point out that the lack of alphabetizing in windows of program lists by default is a flaw that has irritated me for years and not to be emulated.

When I try to mount a shared resource from other machine. and it asks for my samba username and password, I tried blank, but it give me "there has been some error."

I did get opera to use a proxy running on the other machine.

Since ya'll are so great, I will press my luck again with another question: can I run wine with my lite machine?    This is a kids computer and looks like only reason to keep win 98 and waste the space would be bugs in abiword/gnumeric and to run the educational windows cds and kids games.  Any one with luck running these types of cds in linux?  I am guessing vm ware, with 2 os switching takes a ton of ram and a purchase of the vm ware.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 11:38:09 am »

The menu does not automatically update, no. It's a trade-off, automation consumes memory and cpu cycles. New programs get added to the bottom of the list, but "start from scratch" should mainly sort them alphabetically.

For windows networking, I use username "guest" and blank password. This usually works for XP machines that use the default "simple file sharing". If you are trying to connect to something older than XP, the utility in Light will not work. If that is the case, let us know and we'll show you how to use "smbfs" instead of "cifs".

Wine will run on your machine, but results are hard to predict. I do know that video performance is important. Only way to find out for sure, is trial and error.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: