VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 08:45:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: virtualbox or equivelant  (Read 2352 times)
haywire
Vectorian

« on: June 12, 2009, 09:12:43 am »

I'd like this to run win2k or winxp virtualized for a few apps that wine does not like...

Any help or ideas would be appreciated...

Steven
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 09:17:12 am »

Download this:

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/2.2.4/VirtualBox-2.2.4-47978-Linux_x86.run

Give execution permissions and follow the prompts, I install it in /opt usually. From a gui you right click in the downloaded file and go to properties, in the permissions section chech that the execution bit is set.
From a console, cd into the downloaded file location and run:

Code:
chmod +x VirtualBox-2.2.4-47978-Linux_x86.run
./VirtualBox-2.2.4-47978-Linux_x86.run

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 07:50:52 pm »

THANK YOU KINDLY...

Installed and working! I'm so happy... Wait now I can run windows again, maybe I'm not so happy Smiley

You know what I mean!

Steven
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 12:46:02 am »

WIndows xp working very nicely on virtual box, thank you. I thought this computer (a 3ghz p4) had 2 gigs of ram, but it has only 512 megs... A bit slow when running both systems but I think upgrading the machine to 4 gigs of ram should help that alot.

I really like this vector setup with winxp on one of the workspaces, its perfect for my needs. I tuned windows down from all the eye candy, things improved a bit, same for my vectorlinux, but its still a bit noticably slow for day to day use.

I hope the ram and an accellerated graphics card will help make this workable for me, I'd like to leave both loaded at once because I hoped to run an old school telnet bbs on xp. That should not take much processor I'd think, ansi text and whatever but you never know...

Thank you very much for your help, if anyone knows any ways to squeeze more performance out of a setup like this, please do chime in with some things I can try.

THANKS!

Steven

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 06:23:30 am »

Try using 16 bits instead 24 for video depth, this is a good advice and more if you are sharing the video memory with the computer's RAM.

You are very welcome, keep us posted about your work, I still remember those awesome videos Wink

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 04:50:18 pm »

The extra RAM will give you much better performance. With VL running VBox you will have a minimum for running XP. Also just a note on 4Gb RAM a 32-bit OS will not recognize all 4Gb. This can be frustrating for some.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 08:02:56 pm »

Thanks I am working on releasing some new and better videos very soon, as well as a whole new crop of music that was all done on vectorlinux.

I am not using the onboard video card, rather an ati rage card with the proprietary ati drivers flgrx or something like that?
I will be upgrading to a better accellerated video card as soon as possible. Actually, I just figured out I could squeeze 15 megs of ram back to the system by lowering the frame buffer setting for onboard video back down to its minimum of 1 meg. I'd like that meg back too but it won't let me just disable the onboard video card. CURSES I want that 1 meg of ram back please! System performance is just a tad better, but every bit helps, I'm pretty sure once I drop another 3.5 gigs of ram in this machine it will be very usable with xp and linux going together.

The 4 gig ram issue has been discussed here before, and actually vector linux and many other distributions patch the kernel to allow for up to 4gb of addressable ram. Going OVER 4gb is what is the problem actually...

So 4gb it is for me. Ah crap, I feel like I did when I maxed out my 486 66 to 32 MEGS of ram and everyone said "Why would you ever need more than 32 megs of ram anyway?" - Because more is ALWAYS better, thats why.

I'm surprised the move to 64 bit is going relatively slow for everyone, but many hardware makers are dragging their feet on driver support and other things I suppose... I actually tried a 64 bit machine recently and I was thoroughly dissapointed, but then it WAS running vista. Smiley Somehow my brain says if its twice the bits, it should be twice as fast and thats really just not the case sadly enough...

Reflecting back... I started using computers on 8 bit processors, that were 2mhz. Its been a long and winding journey to
this current computer I have now. I am very impressed by this linux/xp virtualized system. This setup really excites and
inspires my creativity, much like my amiga did back in the day.

This is my favorite computer or computer setup I had had in a very long long time...

Thanks for your help guys!

Steven

Thanks for your help guys.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 11:24:09 pm »

I think the problem with those 4 gigs is that some portion of the memory is reserved and hidden from the user. I have a w3k bot at work with 512mb, however all the reports give a smaller number as some ram is shared with the video card. Maybe something similar happens here. You would surely get a reasonable ammount of ram very close to the 4 gigs. I will google a bit, maybe I can find the right answer.

--
Jumalauta!!
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 03:49:41 am »

Somehow my brain says if its twice the bits, it should be twice as fast and thats really just not the case sadly enough...
I was using 8 bit ptocessor at 1 mhz.  People were screaming that 16 bit would be twice as fast.  Had a chance to work with a 16 bit 2 mhz machine - everything took twice as long!  Huh (Oh! I forgot:  Murphy has never been repealed!  Grin )

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: