VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: clean old programs in /usr/lib  (Read 2186 times)

hlekat

clean old programs in /usr/lib
« on: June 27, 2009, 11:30:55 am »

is there any way to clean old programs?
in the directory /usr/lib althought that i have firefox 3.0.11 installed there are also other firefox folders like firefox 3.0.6 , 3.0.9 , 3.0.10 , 2.0.0.14.

i supposed like i have olders versions of firefox i would also have and others that i havent noticed yet. is there any way to clean them? i suppose it is not safe to start deleting folders.

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: clean old programs in /usr/lib
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 05:16:40 pm »

You could rename the folders one at a time starting with the oldest. Then run Firefox or an application that has old folders and give it a good workout. If nothing complains and everything works, delete the old folder. Continue until they're gone. If  you're nervous about deleting the old folders, you could move them to a flash drive or external hard drive after testing as I just described. After a few weeks with no problems, delete them from the external media.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

hlekat

Re: clean old programs in /usr/lib
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 08:27:48 am »

except the trash kbytes is it possible these folders to slow down the pc performance?