VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 02:07:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ram limitation with 32 bit vectorlinux?  (Read 1979 times)
haywire
Vectorian

« on: June 13, 2009, 10:29:42 pm »

I found some info regarding the ram limitation of 32 bit os's. According to most of what I know, they can only use 4 gigabytes of ram.

I have a 3ghz p4 that has 4 ram slots. currently, it has 512 megs and the system is a bit slow at times. I wanted to upgrade the ram but before I plopped down the cash, I wanted to make sure vector can use the 4 gigs I wanted to install...

It has 4 slots for ram sticks, and I found some 1 gig sticks...

I found more info on linux saying most distrubutions will address up to 4 gigs. Is this true for vector?

Steven
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 11:12:46 pm »

The Vectorlinux kernel is compiled with a limit of 4gb. The linux kernel supports until 64gb for the 32bits artichecture using PAE, but you would need to compile your own as its not enabled in the stock VL kernel.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: