VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 12:58:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hope to see this in Upcoming VectorLinux.  (Read 4220 times)
arundracula

« on: June 18, 2009, 09:04:33 am »

I don't know where to post this correctly.

Thank you for all making such a good Linux. I used some Linux distros but Fedora. But VectorLinux is easy in configuring and all inside it will work from the start without any additional downloads.

It will be very useful if you include this on the coming VectorLinux.

1) wvdial.
2) Download Accelerator that monitor browser download and cliipboard (like KGet).
3) Some more nice games.
4) A nice desktop sidebar.
5) OpenOffice
6) Amarok/Rhythmbox
7) .deb .rpm convertor and installer.

I'm sorry if I spelled something out stupid.

Re-installing is not a problem, but it is when I had to.
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 01:07:23 pm »

Hi arundracula,

Most of them are already in the repos, and you can install them through slapt-get or gslapt.  VL must fit in a single CD, so including openoffice or amarok (with all qt libs) is impossible afaik.

I don't know about wvdial and dld accelerator.  Maybe they do fit in vl philosophy, if they're not too heavy.

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 01:19:30 pm »

VL uses Chestnut Dialer instead of wvdial.  Have you tried that?  Do you have a problem with Chestnut Dialer or a specific reason for preferring wvdial?

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 01:21:02 pm »

I've packaged d4x download manager for you. I'm about to post it on the packagers board.  Give it a couple days and it will be available in the repository.  I see why so many liked it.  Nice app.
Ken

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
arundracula

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 07:56:32 pm »

Thank you for packaging D4X. I am using chestnut dialer. But in vl5.9 it doesn't worked. In vl6 it works.

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 10:05:45 pm »

I have just finished building wvdial and a front end for it called pyWvDial, both for VL-6.0.  I have to admit I don't know much about these programs so I will count on you to test.

So let's see how things are going on your list...
1) wvdial. Just built...give it a couple days.
2) Download Accelerator that monitor browser download and cliipboard (like KGet). d4l, Same as above.
3) Some more nice games. Give me some ideas.  Have any favorites, I'll see what I can do.  If you enable testing in the gslapt repositories and if you have a graphics accelerator,  openarena is a recent new addition.
4) A nice desktop sidebar.  Any suggestions, or examples?
5) OpenOffice It's in the repostitories, just gslapt.
6) Amarok/Rhythmbox Both in gslapt repositories.
7) .deb .rpm convertor and installer. You can use rpm2targz,  rpm2tgz, or /sbin/deb2targz at the command line.
/sbin/deb2targz is also part of thunars custom actions.

Give me a couple games and I'll see what I can do.  Some examples of what you mean by a sidebar, would help as well.

Here is an example of how you can install a deb package.
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/11.Network-apps/gizmo/gizmo5.htm
This will only work if the deb package follows the linux filesystem standard and dependencies are satisfied.
Ken
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 10:09:38 pm by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
arundracula

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 09:16:57 am »

Thank you for the support.

So let's see how things are going on your list...
1) wvdial..................waiting.
2) D4X.....................waiting.
3)I have nvidia 8600GT. But I didn't mean big games, but some entertaining ones. Now in VL 6.0 there are only galaga, Penguin command and PySol.
4) A nice desktop sidebar. Like in Windows Vista (with slideshow, clock, shortcuts, weather, mediaplayer control). Turn VectorLinux into a stylish Linux.
5) I got reply for openoffice and amarok, they are too big to include in a disc.

Give me a couple games and I'll see what I can do.
I selected the testing and I am looking into it.

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 06:49:41 pm »

There are a number of additional games in the repository that can be installed with gslapt.  I doubt there will ever be very many games in the iso if it's to be kept to a single CD image.  That's what repositories are for Smiley

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: