VectorLinux
September 18, 2014, 07:21:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: video card suggestions?  (Read 2887 times)
haywire
Vectorian

« on: June 21, 2009, 09:55:42 pm »

I am using a very old video card and have had many problems getting more than 1280x1024 resolution.

Can someone please suggest a pci video card that can do 1600x1200 on old crt 20 or 24 inch monitors?

My budget is pretty low, I'd like to buy a used one on ebay if possible...

My new vectorlinux 6.0 system is PERFECT except for this and upgrading the ram, which I'm working on. Runs great but I'd really like 1600x1200.

The strange things is the same card/monitor work at 1600x1200 even on windows 98 of all things.

Also I have alot of spare crt monitors, can someone suggest a good card to add if I wanted to do a 3 monitor setup eventually?

Thanks,

Steven
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 05:12:17 am »

I seem to remember you had an old ATI card like Mach64 or Rage 128? It should be possible to push it to max resolution. You may have to manually specify video ram in xorg.conf. There are so many options in X, I only know of the very basic ones.

As far as newer cards go, older Radeon cards, 7000 to 9250 are well supported using open source drivers. From 9500 and up it seems like there is somewhat of a twilight zone; the ati driver doesn't give you any hardware acceleration, and the fglrx driver code needs patching to work with newer kernels (as vector devs have done with "vlati"). Brand new cards have shiny new open drivers, but I have no experience with those.

In the Nvidia camp, I have had very good luck using proprietary drivers on geforce 5 and 6-series cards. Older nvidia cards like Riva/Vanta/TNT ones should work fine using the open "nv" driver.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 10:39:22 am »

I almost just bought a card you said to avoid, so I'm glad you posted niteflier...

I don't know much about video cards, but I'd like to get one with hardware accelleration, where the gpu is used instead of the main processor?

This seems to really help performance on a windows machine, so I suspect the same would be true for vector linux.

Can anyone suggest a decent card where the hardware accelleration would be supported in vector linux?

Thanks,

Steven
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 07:43:22 pm »

Yes, hardware acceleration greatly improves performance.

I would recommend an nVidia Geforce 5 or higher and install "vlnvidia" (kernel source is also required). You can get a new one for about $40, probably less on eBay.

Currently, I have a Geforce FX 5200 and a 6200 in use. No problems, performance is good, and vlnvidia includes a nice GUI for controlling your display settings.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 11:19:02 pm »

Nightflyer,

I found the cards you are using for 50$ or less on ebay. Do these cards support hardware accelleration, using the gpu instead of the main processor?

This card seems good and is well within my budget.

Fx6200 looks fine, Looks like I have an open AGP slot on the board, would that be better than the pci card?

Does that fx6200 include linux drivers or can you download them for vector linux, and they include a gui for linux? That would be awesome... Please let me know what you think so I can go ahead and order one of these if it will work nice.

Steven
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 04:01:19 am »

AGP is faster then PCI (but not as fast as PCI-e). The card won't come with linux drivers but VL has them included. I have a fx6200 and have had no problems using it with linux or windows.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 04:30:22 am »

If you have an AGP slot, definitely use it. It is designed to provide better video performance than PCI. I'm pretty sure any AGP card will be hardware accelerated. That became standard many years ago.

The proprietary driver, which enables hardware acceleration, is in the repo. Gslapt "vlnvidia". It does include the gui control panel.

For some comparison shopping, check these out:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187044
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125249
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4465557&CatId=318
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 07:14:59 am »

Thanks guys thats great news and yes I do have an agp slot, I suppose so, 1 slot closest to the cpu looks way different, its not pci, just hope its agp and really not something funky if you know what I mean.

I think I will order the one you have nightflier, then I know it will work well with the drivers you mentioned, its cheap enough...

Thanks for your help guys. My vector box is pretty fast now but I have a feeling once I get the 4 gigs of ram in and a better video card, it will really fly... I'm really liking my setup with virtual box with xp, but its a bit slow now because the machine only has 512 megs. (Only 512 megs? sheesh remember 32 megs? 8 megs 2 megs? haha I do, but then I remember 16k too!)

Steven

haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 07:20:45 am »

Oh I forgot to mention, there IS a spot on the bios to switch between pci or agp video card selection, so I am assuming that the nvidia 6200 agp will work in this beast?

I think so, but I'll be pissed if I order it, wait and it does not work. Thats like getting a bike for christmas when you have a broken leg Smiley

Steven
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 07:21:04 am »

Here is a picture of what you should be looking at:
http://www.aurora.dti.ne.jp/~shin-ya/images/agp_slot.jpg

The white outline is AGP, blue is PCI.

If you know the make and model of your motherboard you should be able to look up the specifications for it.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 01:08:48 pm »

Nightflier,

Yes its an agp slot that is open on this motherboard, thats for certain, I did just today look up the board, its actually a nice intel desktop board, never had one before but I like the bios is very tweakable and the whole things runs vector linux nice.

I ordered 4 gigs of ddr ram, thats on its way. I decided to try to "win" a  Nvidia Geforce FX 6200 FX6200 512MB DDR2 AGP Video Card
The bidding ends in 2 days, its at .99 cents now. If I am outbid, I will just use buy it now, looks like they go for around 59.95 brand new with free
shipping, thats within my budget.

I got lucky and got the 4 gigs of ram for 42.00$ plus 6$ shipping.. I also bought a pci ide controller, so I can add 4 more ide drives I have , for 19$

After upgrades I will have :

3.0 ghz hyperthreading pentium 4
4 gigs ram
Nvidia Geforce FX 6200 FX6200 (One way or the other!)
24 inch flatscreen monitor
dvd-r/w drive
3-1/2 floppy because I'm old school Smiley
Hard drives :
540 gig x3 
Extra hard drives on pci ide controller :
80 gig ide x 4

This will be the best computer I ever put together in my life. Thanks for your help guys, I will let you know how the video card upgrade goes!
I'm hoping I can use winxp in virtualbox comfortably with this upgraded system, just for the few windows apps I need for work.
It runs okay with 512 megs but seems slower than I'd prefer, but thats to be expected I think with so little ram dediced (128 megs)

I am so glad I can run vector as the main os, its just awesome, and this box runs rings around my 1400mhz amd vector box I started with.
I have a great deal still to learn, but even for a notice nerd, I think vector is very usable and stable and I'm very happy with it all around.

I intend to buy some cd's again, I bought the 5.8 deluxe cd's awhile back, but I just used the iso download for 6.0. I'd like to buy a set of cd's
just to support the efforts of the developers, its really a fantastic system all around.

Thanks for your help Nightflier, I'll let you know how I like the video card...

Steven

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 03:50:26 pm »

Sounds like fun. I just finished building a similar machine that has the 6200 card (not quite up to your specs though: ASUS MB, P4 2.8GHz, 2Gb RAM, and a couple of small WD HDs of 80Gb and 30Gb). VL leaves most of those resources for the user to consume not the OS.  Hope you get the bid on the card on eBay.
Good luck,
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 04:46:40 am »

Yes this is why I chose vector linux instead of ubuntoo or some other larger distributions. Maybe its xfce as the window manager, or really I'm not sure WHAT it is, but vector just seems to run faster and better on most pc's I've tried it on, especially the doorstops I'm usually using which are basically picked out of the trash.

This is a fast pc for me really, I usually have much older junk boxes but decided to get something decent for a change. My girlfriend, seeing parts come in the mail even said "Wait... You actually bought something?" hahaha. I guess the discarded frankenstein parts from friends and family upgrades just were not cutting it anymore.  I just think most people have soooo much more than they need. My next door neighbor is a perfect example, buying a 1500$ quad core pc with 4 gigs ram and all this stuff just to surf the web and have email. Kind of a waste really I think.

Speaking of having much more than you need...after these upgrades, I'm hoping to figure out a 3 monitor system, but that is probably a subject for
another thread.

Steven

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 05:38:17 am »

Powerful system! You want to make sure your power supply is up to the task. Unless it's 500W+, you may want to start without the extra IDE controller and the 4 80G drives. Add those later and see if performance is affected.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 07:44:11 am »

Yes its a 500 watt power supply so I think it will be fine, though I may transfer this whole beast into a REALLY old school full tower case I have that was once a gateway 486 66dx2 I believe. I checked and that box would have room for the 500 watt power supply and an extra 350 watt or something like that.

Originally, I planned on doing that but this half tower case is big enough to hold all the drives, it has Right now I put have not put the extra 4 drives in yet, but I'm thinking I will this week... This half tower looks like it has bays for 6 3-1/2 inch drives besides the floppy I mean, for hard drives, and 4 5-1/4 inch bays too... I believe this was a server case, because of the 500 watt ps and all the bays, very room.

That beast will be heavy when I'm done. Needs one of those rolling caster stands too besides these other bits I'm adding...

Steven
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: