VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 06:54:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: HOW TO MAKE A piii OLDIE) to WORK AGAIN AS A PC?  (Read 4252 times)
lordiaco

« on: June 22, 2009, 12:23:34 pm »

FORMAT HD TO FAT32 AND INSTALL AN OLD MICROSOFT WINDOWS NT4 OR 2000 SP2, INSTALL OPERA NEWEST, SKYPE 3.0 AND WHATELSE OFFICE, FORGET ABOUT FIREWALL, VIRUS  AND VOILA!
IT WORKS IN 4-5 MONTHS NOW, NOT A PROBLEM YET! SO TIRED OF APT-GET, SLAPT-GET, DEPENDENCIES, ALL F... GETS

ALL RESPECT TO ALL VECTORABIES BUT X-WINDOW IS TO SLOW, JUST DSL (Damn Smal) WORKS WITH BAD SOUND AND BAD VIIDEO CAPABLITIES,
SORRY HAVE NO TIME TO SPILL ON WORTHLESS GPL. NOT ANY MORE, ALL IS ABOUT MONEY ANYWAY, PAY AND DRIVE

"Happily running" VL 5.8  Stnd./ Xfce on old laptops:1999's model Dell Latitude CPt (PII-464 MHz/256MB/6 GB ext3-part) and some newer 2003's Latiitude D600 (1,4GHz/768 RAM/40GB, wiith no screen, as a gateway).. No DuoCores hi-tech  machines exactly. Good luck all  Vectorians -IT  USE TO WORK AT LAST
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 04:47:29 pm »

This post should be move to The Lounge section as it is not related to VL or Linux. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 06:21:09 pm by hata_ph » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 06:56:51 pm »

Some times it feels good to let out a good rant. I've been guilty of the same thing  Grin

Windows NT does not support FAT32, you'd have to use NTFS with it.

Windows 2000 is up to SP4, I still have it on my laptop just in case I need to do something windows specific. You are correct, it runs very well without firewall and antivirus, but I would not feel comfortable connecting to the Internet that way.

If you really want a lightweight, vulnerable OS as you describe, Windows 98 would be even faster, and I suspect that valid, transferable licenses for it are easier to come by than for the more business oriented OS's. If you're really lucky, you'll get your hands on one that has an unused sticker that you can put on your case.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 10:03:58 pm »

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 04:17:01 pm »

Ah, yes,....
I have all the floppies and CDs for windows (and dos) from about Dos 3 to win3.1,...win95,...win98se,...w2k Pro,...winXP,......
But WHY?HuhHuh?  Okay,...I do have w2k Pro and wXP on two old computers, but I hardly ever fire 'em up.  My older PIII computers told me they like Linux much better, anyhow  (and they have never lied to me).
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 05:52:30 pm »

In my experience with something like Vector Linux Light I find that Linux runs faster than Win2K or XP.  I haven't run NT in ages.  Neither NT nor 2K is supported by Microsoft.  Security vulnerabilities remain unpatched and unfixed and if such a system is put online it can and eventually will be hacked.  I wouldn't want my data in that environment.  Sorry, XWindows is not slow unless something is wrong with your configuration.

There seems to be a growing trend of having Windows users come into Linux fora and rant about how awful Linux is.  I can't imagine why.  It's not going to change anyone's mind who is satisfied with Linux.

Oh, and no, it's not about money.  It's about security, stability, and reliability.  Linux wins in all those areas.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
dawnsboy
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 06:54:35 pm »

In two of his 5 posts on this forum user lordiaco talks about having incurable cancer and "being in the dusk of my life".  I suspect that if that is true it could provide fuel for a good many rants about any number of things.  It might also induce some degree of impatience with pretty much everything.  Of course, it is hard to know the truth of anything online.  If it is true my heart goes out to this person.

As for the rant in this thread it is clear that Caitlyn has said all that really needs to be said.

Custom Mini-Itx - VL6.0 Light
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 11:46:04 am »

Of the other OSes mentioned so far Dos is my favourite for an old PC. I used MS-Dos for 4 years before discovering Linux (or rather, finding a version of Linux, BasicLinux, which would run on my 100 MHz Pentium 1 computer).
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 02:56:15 am »

There is of course the FreeDos project, which has a nice live cd with many applications, a rather nice distribution.  I was responsible for a hundred or so machines going out with it and a suite of freeware, open source and shareware software.  Gave a new lease of life to otherwise obsolete 486 machines.  A lot of the machines were bought (£30 for a complete system inc monitor etc) by people who used for their younger children as games machines.  Not sure if the office apps were used much but people reported getting a lot of enjoyment out of them...
w2gnd

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 08:25:27 am »

I read about a study done a few years ago on the west coast at some university (I tried googling it but came up empty) where they tested Windows operating systems from 95 to XP.  (Vista wasn't out yet).  They discovered, to their surprise, that Windows NT 4.0, with SP6 and all post security fixes installed, was the most stable secure Windows platform.  That said, its still not as stable as VL.

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 01:51:11 am »

There is of course the FreeDos project, which has a nice live cd with many applications, a rather nice distribution.  I was responsible for a hundred or so machines going out with it and a suite of freeware, open source and shareware software.  Gave a new lease of life to otherwise obsolete 486 machines.  A lot of the machines were bought (£30 for a complete system inc monitor etc) by people who used for their younger children as games machines.  Not sure if the office apps were used much but people reported getting a lot of enjoyment out of them...

Excellent. I might try FreeDos if (as I've heard) it can install itself into a logical partition. MS-DOS won't; you have to use the whole drive to install it, which wipes out anything else you've got on there.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 09:05:53 am »

Don't know if its the same as freedos or not, but I use dosemu daily on my VL6.0 system to run foxpro 2.6 dos.  http://dosemu.sourceforge.net/ 

And, of course, VL 6 runs fine on a Pentium III.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 10:50:08 am »

It includes FreeDos
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 01:26:31 pm »

I've had very mixed fortunes trying to run DosEmu in Vector; it would help if there were an all-inclusive package that makes it easy for you, like Deli has in its repo. Even in that distro if you've got, say a word processor you want to print from, the option included in DosEmu doesn't appear to work.

BTW, my favourite DOS programs are word processors, especially WordStar and Protext. I've also got a copy of FoxPro 2.6 for DOS but it's overkill for what I need a database for these days.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 02:34:08 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
lordiaco

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 07:56:25 am »

Hi all Vectors, I never expected a such responce to my litle semi-joke on "VLinux vs Windows 2k/NT"!
Honestly, I never had for intention to begin or increase some debate like (Linux vs Windows or so), we all oldies (age over 50, spending over 30 years with diverse comp-systems) know wery well that such kind of discussions are worthless. I just wanted to remind that we still have possibilities for using oldier well functioned systems (without spending too much money on new hardware year after year -  a bit iritating) of course.
Some of us have no longer time either to waste on diverse "init,conf, bash, sh...etc" experiments because somehow limited lifetime (kind of desease like in my case) and things just have to work and move on safety
I'm verry sorry for missunderstanding my innocent and childish script may have caused, and I proudly can express myself as a glad user of both, (best for me) Vector Linux 5.8 and Win 2k/NT.

Thank you a lot for a good Vector

"Happily running" VL 5.8  Stnd./ Xfce on old laptops:1999's model Dell Latitude CPt (PII-464 MHz/256MB/6 GB ext3-part) and some newer 2003's Latiitude D600 (1,4GHz/768 RAM/40GB, wiith no screen, as a gateway).. No DuoCores hi-tech  machines exactly. Good luck all  Vectorians -IT  USE TO WORK AT LAST
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: