VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 07:48:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cautious beginning  (Read 2016 times)
craftybear

« on: June 22, 2009, 06:23:58 am »

I am neither a first-time Linux user nor a first-time VectorLinux user, but I have a question or two that might help me to avoid some pain in returning to Vector after a long layoff. I used Vector 5.8 some time ago (SOHO I think), but didn't hang on to it long. I had limited space and I was distro-hopping looking for a home. I eventually found one, but that's another story. Here is my current situation:

I have an ASUS Pro50G Series (F5GL mobo) Dual Core Pentium T3400 laptop; 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD, nVidia Glx graphics. Beast is partitioned as follows:

sda1 - 9.8Gb FAT
sda2 - 97.7Gb NTFS (Vista Home Premium)
sda3 - Extended
sda5 - 2.5Gb ext2 (Linux Boot - Grub gfxboot + recent ISO storage)
sda6 - 10Gb ext2 (Puppy 476Alpha - Ubuntu compatible)
sda7 - 10Gb ext2 (Puppy 4.12)
sda8 - 10Gb ext2 (Puppy 4.21)
sda9 - 10Gb ext2 (Puppy 4.21 - development)
sda10 - 10Gb ext2 (Puppy 4.2SMP)
sda11 - 50.62Gb ext2 (Data storage)
sda12 - 21.38Gb ext3 (Linux Mint)
sda13 - 994.19Mb Linux Swap

I boot through the NT Loader to Grub (gfxboot) and then into whatever flavour Linux I'd prefer at the time. The question is what do I need to know/avoid in order to simply add VectorLinux 6.0 STD to my list of options? Will the Vector graphical installer simply append an entry to my existing Grub menu.lst or do I run the risk of having it throw LILO into my boot partition and perhaps having to rebuild my setup?

Yeah, I know. I should just boot the installer and follow the prompts BUT I'm a cautious type. I believe in asking first rather than regretting later.

As you can see I have had an extended stay with Puppy Linux. I hope that's not a "dirty word" around here (Caitlyn). I have also spent time with Linux Mint, PCLinuxOS, Slackware12, OpenSUSE, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Mepis, Xandros and a whole bunch of others. At one time Puppy was compiled under Vector Linux, so I feel the association may prove fruitful. A bit like Goldilocks, I'm looking for a new home but don't want to upset anything or anyone while testing the chairs and beds for comfort, so to speak. Any advice?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 08:01:02 am »

All open-minded users are welcome here.  Smiley

I am unfamiliar with gfxboot, but it appears to be a beautified GRUB? If so, you can install VL to one of your partitions and skip LILO installation. Then manually edit your menu.lst file. The VL installer will not do this for you.
craftybear

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:48:43 pm »

Thanks, nightflier. That's what I was hoping the answer would be ... on both counts! Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: