VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 05:11:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Desktop enhancements, shortcuts and other stupid questions...  (Read 921 times)
haywire
Vectorian

« on: June 25, 2009, 09:30:28 pm »

Back when I started with vector, on 5.8 I think... I asked alot of dumb questions about desktop customization.

Now that I'm back to vector, I re-installed vector over my old vector hard drive and I don't for the life of me remember how to do a few things...
I set up all this stuff before ages ago (with help from this forum) but promptly forgot how to do that stuff as soon as it worked...

1) Someone here helped me before, to create a ramdisk and a desktop shortcut to the ramdisk. I used this all the time for a temp directory
of sorts, downloading files to it, saving temp files I was working on or whatever... I got very used to using it all the time and now I can't
remember how to create a ramdisk, automount it and have the desktop icon to access it...

2) Similar question, but I'd like to automount the cd-rom, floppy and each hard drive at bootup, then have a desktop icon to access each one.

3) How do I make GkreLLm system monitor automatically load each time the system starts?

4) How can I modify the background and text colors of the command prompt, I thought it was "schema" but I can't find these settings in vector 6.0 at all? How can I set the thing to be sort of transparent, like I see in many linux screenshots?

5) Where do I set the system fonts and does linux just use regular TTF fonts that I can grab from anywhere on the net?

6) What is the file format, or common sizes/colors and format for icons, and where should they be stored, or can I just create
any directory I like and store them there? Does anyone have any good suggestions for sites for linux icons? Is there a common
icon editor for linux like the many there is for windows?

7) Is there a way to setup an incoming telnet answerer but to start a dos bbs package to answer, I mean I know how to do this in windows and the command line but is this possible to have a linux telnet server which answers the port 23 and then starts a dosbox
session with a dos bbs package? Strange question I know, but I'm interested in setting up a dos bbs package for tradewars and fidonet and some other retro stuff. I know people are running linux bbs packages, but I wondered if setting up an old dos package is possible with vectorlinux. Having trouble trying to install the bbs software in my virtualwin xp machine, freezes on the install for some reason...

Sorry so many questions, I'm off to read more docs and customize the desktop as best I can...

Steven

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 07:47:50 am »

A couple of my opinions:

1) If this is for your machine with 4G of RAM, how about using tmpfs for /tmp? Add a line somewhat like this to fstab:
Code:
tmpfs   /tmp        tmpfs rw,suid,dev,exec,auto,nouser,async,noatime 0  0
All your temp files will go into memory, which will speed up things. I have been doing that for over a year on my machine with 2G + swap, never had a problem.

2) I'd just use HAL and let it do the auto-mounting as soon as you click on the drive icon in your file manager.

4-5) Much depends on your WM/DE setup. Specify if you use XFCE, KDE, IceWM or whatever.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 08:35:46 am »

DOH your right...I forgot to mention, I am using xfce... Sorry about that...

Steven
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: