VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 11:56:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How did you learn about VL?  (Read 4074 times)
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« on: June 24, 2009, 06:44:08 pm »

How did you learn about VL? Google? A friend? What was your criteria (if any) when you were looking for a good distro? What were your reasons for choosing VL after you learned about it?

To answer my own questions: I learned about VL through www.linux.org. My criteria while searching was something that was free and would run on old hardware. (I was using a 300mhz machine at the time.) My reason for choosing VL was that it met my criteria. I especially liked that it was designed to run well on old hardware.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 07:01:35 pm »

We were looking for an operating system that would run on old computers that we wanted to give to kids.  We liked Puppy, but the kids kept having trouble with it as it runs in root.  As we did not have time to answer their questions, we looked around for an operating system that would run on old computers which could be reliably used by those not particularly adept at computer talk.  We tried Vector.  It worked.  I then began using Vector so I could respond to the kid's questions.  As I did so, I became convinced that Vector was better than my Microsoft machine.  Now I use Vector exclusively and am quite happy with it.  6.0 is very good for my purposes.

John
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 06:59:59 am by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 07:47:12 pm »

I found Vector on Distrowatch.  When I first started with linux I was determined to try every linux OS I could.  I started at Ubuntu and worked my way down.  Who would have thought that the number 22 ranked distro (at the time)would be the one I considered the best.
Slackware users like to say...
Use Ubuntu you'll learn Ubuntu, use Fedora you'll learn Fedora, but use Slackware and you'll learn Linux. 

Well I feel that way about Vector. Even with all of the add-ons,  codecs, drivers, and ready to go propitiatory video, it is still a great place to learn linux.

Oh, and I've got to give the community it's props as well.  Excellent group here.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 09:42:39 pm »

When I wanted to switch to Linux I got a local Linux magazine from Vanesa's brother, with some kind of guide about many distros. I picked Vector because the magazine said it was designed for efficiency.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 12:25:19 am »

At the time I was working for a charity that provided training and recycled items including computers.  I was drawn to Vector because it said it worked on old computers and that it was user friendly.  I also found that the forum was friendly and informative and that the leadership of Vector actively sought and acted on information from its users. 
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 01:26:54 am »

HI,
 I believe it was through a special search feature on Distrowatch. I was looking for distros that used XFCE or openbox as their desktop enviroment. The distros I used in the past were KDE based, but were becoming too bloaty for my taste and needs.
 Also used that special search feature to sort distros by country of origin as a criteria. Yes ... I discriminate. OK, anyway, that is how I came about to choose VL, among others.

kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 02:39:10 am »

I found it on Distrowatch , while trying to get an old HP computer working someone had given me, Red Hat at the time would not boot on it , Mandrake faired no better. and SuSE , gotta hand it to them it installed and booted and ran but OH SO SLOW !  then I installed Vector and it's been my # 1 distro ever since.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 02:48:02 am »

After having my fedora core 2 installed for a couple of years and looking for a fast linux but not so difficult to install, I tried zenwalk, and vectorlinux.  Vl won. Smiley

Having the correct balance between stability and ease of use was what caught my attention.
I can't get a (really) usable linux in 25 minutes with any other distro.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 01:35:23 pm by kidd » Logged

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 09:21:07 am »

Very long time ago, when I started getting fed up with the windows environment and bosd's all the time, I started looking around in linux.org and took a little survey thing they have on there I think... Vector came up as one of the top matches for my needs, so I tried it.

StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 11:10:59 am »

Have been trying to install on older machines since Slack 3 or 4 but the machines were too small for it.  I actually had a successful install a couple of times but was unable to translate from CP/M-DOS Command Line and couldn't figure out how to use it.  Three years ago was surprised to see that there was such a thing as a Live distro so purchased an assortment from a reseller.  Puppy or DSL did allow me to salvage files from an NTFS hd but again had difficulty trying to figure out what I could do - didn't even realize Dillo was a web browser!  VL4 Live at last allowed me to to be able to figure out what was going on.  DLd 5.9 Gold and it installed except, after fighting it for six months realized the machine was at fault - kept tearing up my network!  Keep it shut down and am now learning.  Cheesy

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 11:13:09 am »

I discovered VectorLinux during my early "dabble with Linux" period. The first distro I used was Mandrake back in 2000 and I found it difficult and frustrating. (Back then Linux was a lot less user friendly and polished, and Mandrake was supposed to be one of the easier distros to use.)

I acquired an extremely lame but free computer that could not handle Mandrake, so I searched the Web for Linux for old computers and came upon VL. I think I started using it in 2001. It wasn't the glorious distro then that it is now, but it did have its good points. I gave away the antique computer and tried several distros during which it became very obvious that VL was much faster than they were. VL 4.2 seemed to take a big leap in usability and from that time on I haven't had much interest in other distros.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 04:52:03 pm »

I had a story all ready about how I was looking for a light-weight Linux distro, having become tired of the more bloated, slower distros that didn't run well on my hardware.  According to the way I remember things, I heard about Vector 5.1, installed it, and really liked it.

Then just a little while ago I was going through some CDs and DVDs, and I found a CD of Vector 4.0.  The writing on it is my handwriting.  To have downloaded it and burned the ISO to CD, I must have first heard of it.

So I have no idea how I first heard of Vector Linux.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 05:38:18 pm »

I ultimately landed on VectorLinux because it was 1 cd, and slackware-based.

I went through the ringer with the big names (no *buntus back then), most of which were multi-cd releases.  After trying the "easy" distros I ended up playing with slackware. I really liked the hands-on and simplistic/vanilla approach of slack but when it came down to configuring the system for special needs the road got tough for me - a newbie.  I then determined that my criteria for a distro would be slack-based and single cd, with some useful tools to help me configure the system the way I wanted it.  I actually think Vector was the first distro I tried that met the criteria and here I stay.  I've played with other slack-based distros over the years but none quite match up to Vector for my needs - it just fits.
OU812
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 10:15:42 pm »

I tried and failed to install RHL 4.0 on an old desktop quite some time ago. Then I successfully installed Suse Personal 9.0 on the same machine, but I couldn't get the network or sound cards to work. After some google searching, I stumbled upon Distrowatch. I got lucky as VL had just released soho 4.0 (?) and it was at the top of the page. Been using it on-and-off ever since. (BTW VL worked quite well on that machine - until I did a dist-upgrade.)

john
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 11:41:09 am »

I think I'd heard about it a while before, but what got me interested in Vector was Liam Proven's favourable review of Vector 4 in an issue of Custom PC magazine around December 2003.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: